Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Travel/practice beater: A baritone Ukelele?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Herkimer, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Herkimer

Herkimer

Dec 10, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    I picked up one of those "Rogue" ukeleles to play with ($17.99 at musiciansfriend.com). What a hoot! I ordered a baritone uke as well but it's on back order.

Although only four strings - they're typically strung up wierd with the smaller strings on the outside. They also typically use nylon strings.

Has anyone out there tried taking one of these baritone ukes and stringing it with four steel strings in a standard "fourths" pattern like a regular bass? (For strings, I was pondering regular guitar strings cut to size.)

[Yes, it's a weird idea - but I've always wanted a "beater" toy to drag around and scratch out ideas on.]

2. Quencher

Quencher

Jan 11, 2005
    Dude what a groovy idea!
    The reason they gots nylon strings is cuz " balsa" wood breaks easy...j/k
    somehow I got a feelin this Uke's gonna end up shoved through a cheap Peavey amp in some show three seconds after it knocks out of tune!
    have you thought about an acoustic PU or mic for it?? Hell its gota be cheaper than an acoustic or Baritone bass!
    I say GO FOR IT!!!
    I got an old violin tuned to 440, maybe we could start a tour " Hawaii Does Bach" ...but where to get a 4 string mandolin?????
    let me know how that works bro...lolol