Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Travel size amps (Nothing regarding Fieldy in this thread!!!)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jazzbo, Apr 1, 2001.

1. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I posted a question like this a long time ago, but can't find that thread anymore, so....

I'm traveling a lot this summer for work, and will be taking the bass. (I would like to make it abundantly clear that I'm not spending 8 weeks in Phoenix and Houston, couped up in some hotel room, without my bass!!!). I digress. So I take my bass, great! I've heard that there is a type of almost "pocket amp." Something extremely small, possibly with headphones as the only speaker, possibly even working on batteries, that I can buy for fairly cheap to plug directly into the bass. Does this ring a bell with anyone. I'm looking for something I could possibly pick up at a GC or something and throw in a suitcase. Help, please.

2. sounds like you want the Dean "Bass in a box" headphone amp. it looks cool, although i haven't tried one yet. $40.

fieldy fieldy fieldy

3. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Canada
    What dancehallclasher said... (not about fieldy)

4. mark

mark

Apr 7, 2000
    Canada
    You could get a Korg pandora. They make those for bass now. Also alot more fun than the Dean.

5. comin ta houston jazzbo? you should drop me a line while your down here.

and by the way check out the dean bass in a box. it should help yur needs.

6. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I seem to remember something at Guitar Center called a Pocket Rocket. It was a headphone amp and they had guitar and bass varieties.

7. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Thanks everyone. That Korg Pandora looks interesting when I looked it up online, but it looks like the Dean Bass in a Box might be the way to go. I was surprised at the $40 price tag. But, to be able to practice, it's worth it.

JR: I'll be headed down to Houston for 2 weeks at first, starting 4/22. I usually stay in the Galleria, and my work is downtown at the BofA building, but I always have a rental car. Any gigs lined up? I'll drop you an email when I swing by. Any other Talkbassers from Houston I should know about?

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

jazzbo - I use the PX3B when I'm on the road, (read, hotel rooms). The price is steeper but some of it's myriad features are the reason I'm glad I got it instead of the cheaper, simple, headphone amps.

It is useful at home, in that I can plug it into the stereo and play along with whatever music source I choose, or record and loop a 16 second sample of music off the stereo, play along with it, vary the speed if it's too fast, and transpose the key if it's in some arcane tuning.

On the road, it also gives me a jillion drum patterns on which the tempos can be altered, a metronome, a useable tuner, and lots of cheesy effects for which the parameters can be altered, if I get bored. I was glad to pay the extra dough for its enhanced capabilities.

9. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Hey RB... How big is that amp? How much did it cost?

10. rickbass

g - It's the same thing as the Pandora. The entire name is the Korg ToneWorks Pandora PX3B. It lists at $250, but I've seen `em in mail order catalogs lately at about $160 or so. So, since you're paying the higher catalog prices, (someone's got to pay for those things), I figure you might be able to get one locally if you have a Guitar Center or other dealer for about $160, tops, without having to take on the shipping.

11. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ex/shop/home/010401183153204095150010843284?pid=152186

Alright, to all you guys who suggested the PX3B or Pandora, I am not very happy with you. I was perfectly content to go get my little "Bass in a box" for $40 when you guys come over here showing me your fancy-schmancy little Pandora's Box for $200. I'm reading about this thing, and now I have to get it. Man! I'm really mad! I gotta go spend an extra $160 cause you guys showed me something so much cooler! Darn you to heck. Darn you all to heck!!!

:D:D:D:D

12. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Incidentally, does this thing have a speaker, or do you need headphones? How does that part work?

13. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    thx for the link Jazz!

Hey, this could become my new studio amp with that line out.

This is even smaller than my little rogue 30 and not too much more expensive I guess. Looks like it is about $100 more...

must....resist....gas....

:D

14. rickbass

It only makes noise if you run it through headphones or your amp. You just connect the "Output" jack to your headphones or amp. and as for size, it can fit fairly well into a shirt pocket but it will stick out.

BTW, jazzbo, the manual is confusing as all get out, IMO. The English translation is fine, but the logic is a little strange. (Japan and the West seem to be on such different wavelengths). I got the basics down and figured out the rest. It's not exactly intuitive, but not stupefying.

I run it with a Radio Shack 9V adapter. It ate batteries like Pez.

15. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Thanks for the info RICK! So, you're further adding to my GAS with an adaptor and good pair of headphones. Any recommendations for some good headphones that can play bass frequencies well?

16. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Ah, Rick, you warmed him up....I'll finish the job!

jazzbo, GET THE PX3B!!!!!! It's truly the Swiss Army Knife of practice/headphone amps. Mine almost never gets turned off, it replaced my Boss DR-5 as the single most indisposable item in my life (well, after my wife, cats and basses, that is! :) ). The ability to loop and slow down passages of music alone make it worth the ~$200, and you get some pretty cool stuff to boot...oh, and Rick's right, pop for an adapter, it swallows batteries FAST.The battery operateable feature is great when you're riding in a plane or car, but for constant use it's an expensive proposition. An adapter will pay for itself in less than a week of battery use.

Headphone suggestions? Well, you can go spend big bux if you like, but I've been using RattioSlack Optimus Pro 40's with great success and happiness. They're actually Koss brand 'phones that have been re-labeled, not the best in the world, but for the money, more than worth it. They roll off the extreme low freq's (my B don't have the quite punch through the 'phones that it do through my amp), but not so badly that they're unusable.

17. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I hate you all! You're contributing to my GAS. :D

But seriously, it does sound like a great little addition to my family. I am to understand that this little treasure has effects, drum patches, transposition capabilities, and can erase bass lines from CDs, and more!? You all have made me very very happy.

18. mark

mark

Apr 7, 2000
    Canada
    I love spreading G.A.S

19. rickbass

Gard - I guess it's more than coincidence that you find those headphones acceptable. When I blew up my AKG's, that I bought SPECIFICALLY for use with the Pandora, I was forced to pull out my old, inexpensive, Koss that I bought years ago for the stereo. They've held up better than the more expensive AKG's and the bass response isn't any worse.

I suppose there are some $200 phones that would deliver a clear, strong signal from the B/E string. I've set up some User effects on the unit with the bass/octave/pitchshift parameters wimped out, so it delivers a clear sound if those effects are used. It certainly isn't the unit. The bass is clear through an amp.

The Pandora is unbeatable for the price. But I sure wish they would have focused-grouped the thing with a bassist or two, instead of engineers, before releasing the thing. If they did bounce it off a bassist first, it must have been Gene Simmons :eek:

20. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Excellent advice. The guy at GC tried to sell me on the AKGs when I called a little while ago. Thanks for the tip. They're quoting they thing at $189.99. Think I can talk them down?