1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Travel with Bass to Banff, Candada

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Mingus Fingus, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Hey TB,

I know there are a lot of threads about airline travel on the boards, but I didn't find much specifically to Canada and I keep hearing different things about which airlines are good, and which aren't to travel with a bass.

Has anyone from the states made the trip to Banff, flying with a plane? Just looking for some direction in which airlines I should be shooting for, and which I should be avoiding at all costs. Delta seems like an avoid at all costs with a bass airline...is that most people's experience? Thanks for your help.

Adam.

2. Don C

Don C

Jan 13, 2007
    Victoria BC
    Yes, you definatly want to avoid Air Canada at all costs !!
    For what it's worth, I've had good luck shipping with Purolater ground transport.
    Of course it will take 5 - 7 days and you'll need a Bass Trunk, but the Bass gets where it's going on time and in good shape.
    If you go with this, avoid UPS shipping what ever you do. I went with them once and they destroyed my trunk. Put big holes in it, scraped the hell out of it and generally abused ti severely.
    And then they as much as told me to get lost when I called them on it.
    Live and learn

3. What's your experience with Air Canada? I'm looking into booking my flight for Banff as well
    How much did you pay to ship with Purolator?
    Thanks

4. I just bought my ticket to fly United, but I don't think you can take that within Canada. I did a search on the boards here for Air Canada when I was booking my flight and found some not favorable responses. The ISB also has some great info in regards to which airlines are better to fly. Good luck,

Adam

5. Don C

Don C

Jan 13, 2007
    Victoria BC
    They were extremely uncooperative and didn't care at all to try to help, and eventually as much as told me to get lost.
    It's a long and frustrating story but after a week of trying to deal with Air Canada, they refused to have anything to do with it and told me the only way they would take my bass was by air freight, which I suppose is viable for some.
    When I checked on the air freight thing, they demanded that I have the item at their warehouse 2 or 3 days in advance, and they would have it put on a flight. They couldn't even guarantee when it would be shipped.
    As well, its over 50lbs in the trunk, and I was told that since handlers didn't have to lift anything over 50 lbs, it would require a forklift to load it.
    As I've had experiences with forklifts before, this didn't make me very happy - and they wanted close to $800.00 one way !!!!
    In all, a very frustrating experience as you can imagine.

We have shipped across Canada with Purolater ground transport six times.
    As for the cost, it all depends who does the measuring, and how its done.
    Most of the Purolater people have been great, one or two have been a problem ( in Toronto ) but in that case I ask to speak with head office on the phone and it gets straightened out.
    We have paid as little as $98.00 to as much as $225.00 depending on who does the calculation.
    There has not been any damage, unlike UPS which I will never use again for anything.
    For what it's worth, I checked all the shipping/courier companies I could find - Fedex, for example, wouldn't even talk to me and showed me the door rather quickly. In fact they were quite rude.

If you're in Toronto it might be satisfying to just drive to Banff. It would only take 3 days and would probably be cheaper in the long run, not to mention the piece of mind knowing that your bass is safe.
    good luck, and do let us know how you ended up getting there.

6. Thanks for the reply
    I do plan on staying away from Air Canada now
    I'd love to just drive but unfortunately I'm not old even to rent a car
    I'm looking into just renting a bass there

7. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    Somebody's lost.

8. MonkeyBass

MonkeyBass

Mar 22, 2009
    Denver, CO
  9. Don C

Don C

Jan 13, 2007
    Victoria BC
    David, in that case you might want to contact the Calgary Jazz Association and the local Musicians Union office, or even the Calgary Symphony.
    One of them may be able to put you in touch with a local player who will rent you a bass.
    The local music stores usually don't have playable Basses (IMO).
    In any case, good luck.

I wonder, have you looked into rail ??
    I think they still run from Toronto through the Calgary area.
    Grasping at straws maybe - but you never know.
    Maybe even Bus ???
    I guess it all depends on what you're willing to go through to have your own Bass.

10. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    ...and another one takes a wrong turn at Albuquerque... (to paraphrase Bugs)

I'm somewhat surprised at the negative experiences on Air Canada. I've always thought that although they weren't great on service, once you take a ride on Delta or American Airlines and come back home, AC really turns to be quite good at what they do.

I'm also surprised that more of us don't just spring for the removable neck/pinned soundpost mod...

11. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Air Canada is ****** about guitars even, let alone DBs. West Jet is much more open and approachable about instruments etc and seems to realise that the words 'Customer Service' have meaning...

12. Don, thanks for the idea, I'll definitely get in touch with those organizations
    I've sent an email to V.A. Hills Fine Strings to see if they have anything - do you have any experience with them? I figured since they were a violin shop and not a general music shop I'd have better luck with them
    Unfortunately train costs even more than flying - a real shame, I'm sure it would be a beautiful trip
    Fingers crossed

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 23, 2020