traveler plus vrs IAmp 350

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Andrew Jones, Jan 4, 2002.

1. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Just talkin volume on a five string (low B) electric.

the IAMP is 350 rms and 1200 watts peak

the eden is 400 rms and 800 watts peak

Is the head room of the IAMP more important than the 50 rms watt difference of the eden?

what do you guys think? wich is "louder" in the real world all other factors being the same

2. Power is really kind of deceiving.:eek:

. All other things being equal, the iamp vs. traveler plus in terms of RMS watts is negligible. To have a noticeable difference in volume (3db) you need to have twice the power, and to double your volume you need 10x the power. So even the difference between 800 and 1200 watts is going to be minor at best, especially since it is a peak rating.
  3. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Andrew, I hope you don't mind if I tag along on this thread.

Any opinions on the iAmp 350 Combo vs. the Eden Time Traveller Combo, while we're here? I'm looking to go the light-weight route, and am comparing these two, along with the accompanying 110 extension cab. Although I have delusions of being a rock star, the reality is that the garden variety 100 watt combo usually does the trick for the kind of music I actually end up playing. But I want LIGHT, and a little more headroom. The iAmp has more features, but is more expensive and about 15 pounds heavier than the Eden. Also, would the volume level with the extension cab be comparable to say, an Eden Metro or SWR Redhead (I would think it would)?

Thanks for any input.
  4. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

my two fav amps. i've got both and realize, they have their own sound. the Eden sounds colored like an Eden and is mucho warmer being tube pre'd and all. the iAMP is much more clearer and hifi sounding but its soo vibey and fun, it dont matter its solid state. the EA would be a great upright or hollowbody amp.

Going thru their DI's tell the story. But, I also did experiments swapping cabs. My Eden CXM110 sounds a tad muffled, while my EA CXL110 sounds mucho clearer and hifi. switching them around yields results backing this.

I use them for different situations and cant get enough of them.

btw, Lump, where do you see its 15 lbs heavier?? on the website, it says it weighs 18 lbs. vs. Eden's 15 lbs.
  5. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Hey Joker

so you own one of each?Cool. I was dreaming about gettin one of each. Im aware of the difference in tone I play double and electric bass so each would have its place.

so just talking headroom (power amp clipping at loud low notes) Do you notice any difference?

thanks AJ
  6. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    oh yea,

The Eden's more a tubey rock type voicing, while the iAMP 350 is a wee bit more on the quick transient, slap/funk thing, so i thought having both would cover my studio needs. Also, I use the Eden for my gigging rig only cause its a tad lighter and dont mind banging it around a bit whereas i baby my iAMP and keep it in the studio. but every now and then, i'll be selfish and take the EA to the gig. :p

anyways, seems like the EA's about the same in the headroom department, only cause you can only push sooo much out of a lil 1x10. but when i use both cabs, the EA totally punishes. crystal clear and bold. with both the EA 110 and Eden 110, i can get some mean head slammin' volume.

this is for Lump, but again, if you're playing with a loud outfit and need the headroom, you're definitely gonna need more than a 1x10. 1x12's would be better, but a 2x10 is preferred.

back to Mr. Jones, if you're an upright guy, i'd recommend the iAMP 350. With its a better hifi sound for your uprights, things will sound clearer and more defined. IMHO, the Eden's good, but the tubes are too colored and can make things a bit muddy for upright work. and of course, its a kickbutt electric job. The iAMP just seems more versatile. Just listen to Kim Stone's stuff. Some righteous tones usin' whatever.

also, the EA cab is better hifi too and in my experiences, the best match. also, if you're deciding on more power for a 1x10, i say get the EA. seems to be slightly better at handling my low B's and volume. the Eden's are great, but the EA's are much more efficient.

I like the Eden for its classic warm tone, but as you can see, i love EA a lot more. For the amount of money, they make some incredibly quality work packaged in a nice little box and the guys are really great to work with. i say get one before a dealer wises up and demand shoots the prices off the charts.

great dog, btw!
  7. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Talkin' bout the combos. The Eden site has the TT at 39 lbs., the EA site has the iAmp at 55 pounds. Let's see, carry the one...make that 16 lbs. heavier. But I'm pretty much sold on it anyway, and your comments certainly reinforce my gut instinct. And I would only get it with the extension. I figger that'd give me Metro/Super Redhead-level volume, and that's about all I'd ever need. My hearing is my bread and butter, and I wouldn't to be in a band with a stage volume above that anyway. Time to sell some stuff!
  8. hey lump, let me know how it goes, i'm going to be trying the EA stuff next week.

have played them before, but never 'really' placyed them :)

there exspensive, but like you say, hearing is important and i don't want a huge deafening rig :O

9. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

my bad. 4am posting was never good for my eyes.

anyways, it's good you're going with the EA one, cause i've heard great things about it and some not so great things bout the Eden's 1x10, 1x12 combos. nothin' specific, just that the EQ section is neutered, and its not as special sounding as the 2x10 metro.

as for the weight issue, why dont you just go with separate parts. its easier to carry the iAMP in a little shoulder bag and cab with both hands. great for those "on the go, in and out the cabby" gigs. also, if you're not really gonna use a low B, then by all means go with the 26 lbs. Eden CXM-110. still a great sound. if you are using a B, then the EA CXL110 is a little more efficient. but again, i'm a lite player and dont smack as hard as other guys, so you're mileage may vary.

dag, i really need to stop posting to this thread. :rolleyes:
  10. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I had an iAMP600 for about a week last year. I played one gig with it. Yes, it's clean. Antiseptically so. And it's very heavy for a SS amp. It also runs out of gas REAL fast when you crank it, especially considering the ratings. The main thing I really disliked about the EA was how noisy the effects loop was: the worst I've ever encountered and I tried a half a dozen quiet units and it hummed like mad with all of 'em. Although they denied it, this is a design flaw, IMO. I kept my Eden WT800 and WT400. Much more musical sounding amps.
  11. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Just a note to you guys that are comparing the Metros and the Traveler Plus's to the Time Travelers.
    The Metro/Traveler Plus is tube (ok, the Metro also has a SS channel too), but the Time Travelers are all solid state.
    For my money I would go the tube route.