Traveling...and still trying to squeeze in practice.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jazzbo, Oct 12, 2000.

1. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I work as a trainer at my company, and many times they'll send me to many different cities in the US to train people at other sites. This can be a real pain in the ass having to reschedule gigs and rehearsals. What I hate even more, is that I can't practice the way I want to. It's too hard to travel with my bass, I just won't do it. Even if I could get the bass here with me, I definitely couldn't bring an amp, and I don't like practicing on an electric without amplification all the time. But it still brings me back to the point to that I don't even take the bass with me anyway. What I've been doing to get around this problem, is just finding out where the local music store is (Guitar Center or Mars most often) and picking up a bass and playing there. Last night I was playing a Fender JBass through a nice little Ampeg combo for about an hour. But, soon, that gets old. I can't practice what I want to, because it's not like I could just bring my music stand and books, or charts, or anything else with me.

Does anybody else run into this problem when traveling for personal or business reasons?
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Cheap solution: buy one of the Steinberger Spirits at MusicYo and a Korg Pandora headphone amp. Total cost should be <$500, and the stuff fits right into an overhead cabin. It's something of a compromise, but it beats camping out at Mars or GC, where you sometimes can't hear what you're playing even with the amp on. Just make sure the baggage handlers know you're carrying a bass and not a rifle.
  3. Jeff Corallo

Jeff Corallo

May 30, 2000
    I just bought a bass amplifier with headphone smaller than a walk-man. Runs on a 9 volt battery and can be stored in my bass case. I bought it so as not to disturb my family late at night when I get home from work. If you can carry your bass with you, this would be perfect to practice with in a hotel room. The unit cost me $30. Now, if you could only miniturize your band......
  4. Licketysplit

Mar 15, 2000
    My thoughts exactly.
  5. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Thanks for the advice guys. Doesn't it still get bulky and cumbersome carrying all that?
  6. I have gone as far as buying an old bass and removing the neck and putting it in a suitcase with my clothes. That and a headphone amp is all you need.