Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Traveling bassist?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Harry Lime, Aug 14, 2003.

1. Does anyone know anyone who's worked as a traveling bassist? Basically, someone who stays in one place for a while and plays as a bassist for hire...and then moves on?

Or on the other hand, known anyone who joined a group who travels extensively? Like that band who played at Paul McCartney's wedding. I think they were from NYC, but Paul's wedding was in Ireland. That would be awesome to work for a company like that. I guess you'd have to be really good. I've always wanted to have a job where you could travel abroad. And maybe if I practiced harder I could do something like this.

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    contact a carbean cruise company. play on a passanger ship. I hear the money is good if you are and if you don't drink too much or blow your money in port you can see some interesting places and meet new people every cruise. I think they sign you up for a season.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I second that notion, I had a friend(sax/bass player) who had a little jazz trio, they got a cruise gigs all the time, free stuff, and good pay.

4. That sounds like a great idea. I wonder how hard the competition is for this? I know that's how Jaco Pastorious started out.

5. is it? I don't remember reading that in his bio......

doing something like that must be so much fun......