Traveling Overseas with a Bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Beau, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Beau

Apr 3, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I will be studying in Ireland all of next year and I am looking for a relatively inexpensive way to get my bass over there intact, if one exists. Does anyone have any experience with this type of thing? I have heard of Gage hard cases but they seem pretty expensive for what will essentially be two uses.
  2. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i never take my bass when i travel if not going by car.... If I go to San Diego I use someone else's bass for my concert.

Same thing when I go to Europe.

I would recommend renting a bass when you get there...

just my 2 cents.:)
  3. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA

Ed--I'm under the impression the airlines won't let you do that anymore. I think the only way is with a hard case, and nowadays they're gouging to the tune of $100-200!:bawl:
  4. Adamb154

Adamb154 Guest

Nov 10, 2002
    I would pay the extra money and just take it along. I would rather do that than have it get lost in the mail, or hunting around to rent a used one.
  5. Beau,

In regards to your overseas adventure, I have had up till about two weeks ago been using a padded soft case, however, we have here in Australia a weekly paper called "The Personal Trading Post" It's an A3 size paper which private sellers shift their wares. You may have something similiar where you live....Anyway I picked up a Fibre Glass Full Size Flight Case ...about 20 years old. The hinges were stuffed along with the handles, catches etc. But inside the crushed padded velvet was immaculate as was the general condition of the fibreglass. The guy wanted $600.00 Aussie for it....he had NO calls when I'd rang. I offered him $500.00 and basically stripped it down spent just on $100.00 for Paint,Hinges,Catches,Handles and wheels..... Looks like BRAND NEW now. Local Luthier offered me $1500.00 for it on the spot... I didn't accept the offer.

All this leads to ....maybe running a small ad in your local rag with an enquiry for a Flight never know what's out there!

Good Luck!:)
  6. bassgeek

Oct 19, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Beau, if you wind up taking a bass with you in a flight case, Todd Coolman has some excellent advice on dealing with the airlines on his website, It's in the "Cool Man Musings" section of his site under the heading, "Flying with the Bass".

If you're going to be there a year, I would go for renting a Gage case as Ed Fuqua mentioned below. But, from what I hear, those things are reserved pretty far in advance. If you rented a case and shipped it back, you wouldn't have to deal with a huge case laying around your place.
  7. I just got one of these cases and was surprised at how sturdy it is...

it's the first case 488 came to me (ATL) for 638

I can sit on the thing and it's cool. It also fits in the back of my BMW 325 (with about 1/2 the neck sticking out the window, a little farther than my side mirror).

Not sure it's cool for international travel, but worth a look-see.
  8. I would say, either rent a case (and then ship it back) from david gage in new york or from the string bass shop in SF (, OR buy a bass when you get to Ireland. I am trying to figure out what to do for a European tour coming up, and I am coming to the conclusion that there are no shortcuts.