Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Traveling to PR: internet access?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by leanne, Oct 18, 2004.

1. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    With a laptop, would I be able to get internet access somehow in Puerto Rico? (Especially in places other than the big cities...?) I won't be in a hotel or anything. Or might libraries or whatever have public access?

Thanks
    Leanne

2. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Hi Leanne...I had it at the hotel and was told it wasn't an issues elsewhere.

Watch yourself. PR has some crime issues. :ninja:

3. Get a SATphone modem. Then it won't be a worry.:D

Yeah, Puerto Rico has some big crime issues. Take care of your self, don't walk down dark alleys, and don't get into unlicensend cabs (remember the Simpsons Rio de Janero episode?)

Oh look, its the cigarette butt you burned me with.

Yeah, you slept like a baby that night.

Rock on
    Eric

4. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Bit of advice when you arrive at the airport and you're taking a cab: have cash. Here's my story.

Arrived after a 12hour flight from Madrid. The taxi racket imposes a $20 surcharge for credit card use. No sweat...hit the cash machine. The cash machine had VISA stickers all over it, and wouldn't take my Gold VISA card. Fine...I'll pay the stinkin $20. Get down to the line of cabs. They ALL have VISA stickers in their window, yet all of taxis...I mean ALL OF THE TAXIS don't take credit cards because their machines are broken. Nobody would take me.

I was convinced I was going to be on CNN within 20 minutes as my blood pressure rose to dangerous levels. I had to lie about paying cash until I got to the hotel and played dumb. They took the card because the machine magically repaired itself enroute.

PR is very very low on my list of visitor friendly places.

5. fiebru1119

fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    outside large metropolitan areas it can be very hard to get internet access.. in PR you can be driving in a crawling metropolis one minute then find yourself out in the middle of nowhere very quickly. are you going to be going with someone? if not i recommend staying in the more tourist friendly areas like old/(new) sanjuan, isla verde, luquillo, ponce, aguadilla, fajardo, or mayaguez. internet access should be readily available in these areas. some metropolitan areas you might want to avoid staying in are bayamon, carolina, rio piedras, etc.. some places you dont want to go to period are la perla and villa palmeras ;)

6. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    So should I not expect to be able to find anything? What about libraries, or something?

I'll be staying in Yauco, it's about half an hour from Ponce, I think. I'm going with someone who lived there for some time and staying with his mother, so I am sure he'll keep me safe and stuff, but he knows zero about finding internet access.

7. fiebru1119

fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    head towards ponce and i know they have to have a cyber cafe or something.. the public library should have internet access. aside from that i really dont know. at least you are near a major metropolitan area