Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Traveling-Touring

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jimbob, Jan 24, 2006.

1. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Acoustica Mixcraft; Endorsing Artist: DR Strings
    I was recently recruted to play bass in background vocals for a 80's Tribute Band. Although I have traveled in the past I have not traveled as a working musician and would like some advice in regards to gear, insurance, and keeping my expenses low.

2. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Hi,

Although I've never toured with a band(yet), I do have extensive travel experience.

1. Have more than one bank account and keep suffice funds in each. Reason: bank cards can die and banks do have problems. Don't allow your financial dependencies on one bank.

2. Avoid eating out often(unless the house provides the meals). Get used to eating deli foods from grocery stores and consider most grocery stores have a microwave oven for your use.

3. NEVER be ashamed of hitting a soup kitchen if you are in a jam.

4. Buy used clothes(Value Village, Sally Ann, etc.) except for undergarments, of course.

5. When in larger cities, stock up on things you WILL use. In your case, strings. Small towns are usually higher in cost for most items.

6. Get AAA(or find out if a bandmate has it). Running out of gas or requiring a tow for the gig van could be a nightmare. Well worth the $50(CDN) a year.

As for insurance, perhaps another TBer will answer. You can always call your insurance broker for answers or they can point you the way to someone who has the answers.

Hope this helps,

DCat