1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Traveling with a bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bass-desires, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Bass-desires

Bass-desires

Oct 25, 2008
    El paso, TX
    Hey yall, I'm going to the Philippines in May on a medical mission for two weeks.:hyper::hyper::hyper: (Davita Bridge to Life) I want to take a bass because two weeks without touching string is far too long for me. I cannot invest in that Traveler bass I saw, and I can't afford (right now) a good case that I would trust to be in cargo. So here is what I was thinking...tell me if you think it'll work or I'm stupid.

I separate the neck from the body and pack in two suitcases. The strings would be already broken in and wound up. I am getting a pocket amp as well, not just for travel but work.:bassist:

Is this feasible or would it be better to save some and invest in a solid case? Any experience in traveling with a bass over seas?

Thanks

P.S: Mods, can I plug the program (Davita) on the forums?:smug:

2. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    Save your self the hassle and work and buy a case.

3. sobie18

sobie18

May 5, 2002
    Shaw AFB, SC
    You MIGHT be able to gig bag it in the overhead (done it before) or even check a hardshell case with your luggage. I have also placed the body in checked baggage (surrounded by clothes) and carried the neck on the plane.

2 weeks in the PI?

I'm surprised Maki isn't going with ya....

4. Bass-desires

Bass-desires

Oct 25, 2008
    El paso, TX
    Yeah, I was thinking of either way, cased, split between check ins, and carry on. I dono if I want to try the whole thing in the overhead though, I would hate to try and board and there be a problem.

Any recommendations on a case?

And would it really be a big deal to take her apart and put it back together again? I'm thinking tools in hand maybe 5-7 mins.

5. sobie18

sobie18

May 5, 2002
    Shaw AFB, SC
    I usually go for the SKB cases.