Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Traveling with bass? (a few concerns)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Deano Destructo, Mar 18, 2004.

1. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Is it fairly safe to take a bass from one enviroment to another on a plane? What I mean is tonight I will be leaving from Seattle and going to Houston for almost 2 weeks. I really want to take my jazz bass along with me since I will actually be there for a little while but I'm not sure if the sudden change in climate would harm it in anyway. I know it might seem silly but better safe than sorry. I'm just thinking these two cities have pretty drastically different weather and I wanted to know if the action would change very drastically in a bad way.

If the action does change that much upon arriving in Houston should I leave it alone in the hopes that it'll return to where I had it originally when I get back to Seattle?

Also has anyone taken a bass on board a plane inside a gig bag post 9/11? Did the airlines give you any problem? I had done this before 9/11 with no difficilties but I'm not sure what they'll let you get away with now. Thanks guys.

:confused: :help:

2. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
  3. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    I can't answer the climate question, but as far as taking a bass on board a plane, I'd be very careful about doing that without a contingency plan (in case they decide last minute that you have to put it under).

I was considering taking my new custom bass to LA with me last December in a gig bag, but wimped out at the last minute. As it turned out, on the way there I probably could have stowed it overhead because the flight was only 1/3 full, but on the way back not only was the flight packed, but also there was an 'orange alert', and they were VERY strict about what could be brought on board at LAX. I think they leveled it down to one small bag on board per person.

Hope this helps.

-A

4. trog

trog

Nov 8, 2003
    Scotland
    Phone the airport and ask. They'll be able to give you an exact answer.

Oh, and btw - The Houston airport is 'orrible ;)

5. Deano Destructo

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Thanx Aram, I don't think my flight will be full since its the midnight outta Seattle. So I might have lucked out there. To my knowledge LAX is a lot more difficult and likely to run into problems since its a major international airport. Seatac's not quite what LAX is. Thanx for the help though. I'm thinking I might chance it at this point. I figure if they tell me its too big I'll just un-bolt the neck and carry it on board likle that. It shouldn't be too large since its under 45 linear inches which is their requirement. Wish me Luck ;) .

6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I'm thinking of getting one of these new SKB thingies for just such a contingency. The idea, apparently, is that you put the bass in a gig bag, then put the whole thing inside the "bass safe." Once you get where you're going, you just take the bass around in the gig bag until it's time to go home again. Makes sense to me. I believe you can get them at Musican's Fiend for < $100.

http://www.skbcases.com/product/musical_instrument/guitars/skb-r44.html

7. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Good luck man -- yeah if it's your only carry-on on an empty flight you should be golden.

8. ZonPlyr

ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    I flew to Philly from Michigan last weekend and carried my bass on the entire way. No problems at all. They did give my bass an extra going over at security but it wasn't a big deal. Flew in a Saab-340 and had to gate check it but they guys were nice and careful, then flew in a 737-800 and had tons of overhead space. Just stuck my bass in the overhead bin and no worries. Flights there and back were full but still had plenty of space.