Traveling with cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wildcats2004, Aug 19, 2005.

1. I'm going to be moving back to college well..tomorrow and I was just thinking about how I'm going to be traveling with my cab. First off the drive is a little over 2 hours. I'll be using a truck with a flat cover over the bed and with the cover the amp is just a little bit too tall for the cover to shut completely. I was wondering if it is okay for the cabinet to be on it's back (or side, whichever way fits better) for the trip or it would be best for the amp if it stays upright like it is supposed to be with the cover cracked about an inch. BTW, of course I will be using packing quilts either way it travels.

Thanks in advance.
  2. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    You should be able to lay it on its' back.

Thats the way I moved my old yamaha amp to and from band concerts and what not.

Be sure though that you lay about 2 to 3 blankets done and then set your amp on top of em, it will not only cushion your amp, but it will prevent it from slipping and sliding.

Hope that helps some!

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Over the years I've transported cabs on their face, on their back, standing up, upside down, and on their side. Never an issue, even in the back of bump equipment trucks.

Just keep them dry and from sliding around getting scratched.
  4. Thanks guys, I really appreciate the feed back. I'm new at the whole head/cab setup so I don't know all the do's and don'ts when it comes to cabs. I know cabs are built to take a certain amount of abuse but I didn't know if keeping them upright (or at least the speakers upright) was that I think about it, people who do custom cars put them any which way they can think of so I guess positioning doesn't matter too much.
  5. permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    No, not a good idea. Cabs should travel upright, upside down, or on a side to keep the cones in their neutral position.

If it's on it's front or back gravity will pull the speaker away from neutral, and road bumps can do damage. Sure, you'll probably be alright, but why chance it?

Best of luck with the new school year!
  6. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In

Thats the way my band director always hauled his stuff, but he didn't drive 2 hours to his gigs.

He's been a gigging muisician for I think 30+ years so I thought he knew what he was talking about, and he does 100% of the time.

But thats just my 0.02$

7. i haul my cab around with it's grill facing down... it's never given me any problems.

but i'm not a professional...
  8. I don't see why it would hurt anything seeing as the cones are meant to move anyway. The weight of the paper and coil in the speaker shouldn't make anything move very much at all.