1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Traveling with Insulin.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Geri O, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Mods, this can’t be the right place for this, so please move as seen fit...

I recently had to go in insulin (due to my boneheaded inattentiveness to my health) and I’ll be traveling on gigs sometime in the future. Not touring, but going out of town here and there for 1,2, maybe 3 nights at a time.

Anyone figure out a method for traveling with insulin? I can see a big Yeti cup and refilling it with ice as needed, which shouldn’t be very often, from what I hear about those things. And I don’t foresee any flying.

Or have I entered a phase of life where I better plan on just staying close to home?

:crying::(

2. Oberst

Oberst

Oct 1, 2018
    I have been on insulin since my early teens. I have flown all over the US and Europe. There are several packs that can keep it reasonably cool. Most insulins can be out of the fridge for 28 days or so and be fine. Some tips: test your blood frequently and have glucose tablets always with you for low blood sugar. Otherwise, don’t let it slow you down.

Years ago I met the climber Jim Whittaker and he led climbs of Mt Hood for diabetics and they did fine.

Diabetes can be a pain in the rear but it can be managed and there are far worse things people deal with everyday.

Torrente Cro and Geri O like this.
  3. murmur70

murmur70

May 3, 2017
    Indiana
    My wife has been a Type 1 diabetic for more than 30 years. She/we have traveled all over the world without a problem. As long as it doesn't get too warm(or cold) you are okay. As Oberst said diabetes is very manageable if you are willing to do the work.

Torrente Cro and Geri O like this.
  4. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Thanx, guys. I’m Type 2 diebetic and I was managing it well for years with Metformin and diet and excercise, but a little over a year ago, I decided so wrongly that I was bullet-proof and stopped managing my diet and my diabetes. Well, more like putting it off, but the results are the same. And I’m paying for that dearly now. But after my trip to the hospital, I’m back on track to be okay.

Thanx for the tips and the encouragement. It’s really appreciated.

Torrente Cro likes this.
  5. Oberst

Oberst

Oct 1, 2018
    Here are interviews with 3 diabetics who climbed Everest!
    I did a lot of backpacking winter and summer long before pens came out and never had an issue. I did always carry extra bottles of insulin then as, if a glass bottle was going to break it would always happen out in the woods. Never broke one but as the saying goes, one is none and two is one.

Summiting Mt. Everest with Diabetes: Is It Possible? - TheDiabetesCouncil.com

Geri O likes this.
  6. Oberst

Oberst

Oct 1, 2018
    I would think it is harder to adjust when you get it as an adult as you are overcoming many more years of habit. Sounds like you are getting the right mindset now so keep it up, stay healthy and Live Life!

Geri O likes this.
  7. Oberst

Oberst

Oct 1, 2018
    And last comment. You will likely meet lots of folks who will tell you (trying to help) exactly what they do and what you should do. Find an approach that keeps you healthy but works for you. Management of diabetes is not one size fits all.

filmtex and Geri O like this.
  8. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    I travel with insulin every year. I just made a little foam insulator that fits in a little belt loop camera case and then keep that insulated with clothes in a bag while actually travelling. I think as long as it doesn't get overly warm, it'll be OK. My in use vial just sits in my medicine cabinet at home, so why would a bathroom somewhere else be any different?

9. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    There are some brands of insulin that don't need refrigeration for longer periods. Tresiba pens can go 56 days (8 weeks). "Regular" insulin like Lantis can go 28 days so as long as you have a "fresh" supply and enough to cover your trip duration you should have no problem.

10. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Ahh, yes, I’m using the Lantus vial that mentions going 28 days without refrigeration and disposing of the bottle after the 28 days.

I guess I was being cautious about keeping it cold since I’m new at this and it ain’t cheap, although I found some discounts for it. I’ll see about at least cool while I travel.

Thank everyone for the tips and the encouragement. When I left the hospital a month ago, I felt fragile and like I was walking on eggshells. Since then, I’ve gotten most of my strength and energy back and working and playing gigs. With newfound desire to live and eat healthy. And it’s going well. Tomorrow, I start with a CPAP machine. New experience, I really need to use one, according to my cardiologist.

ahc likes this.