Traveling with your Bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SacOnBass, Jan 23, 2005.

1. I am fortunate enough to be playing a tour in South Africa this coming month and Im really worried about my Bass. I only have a gig bag, and Im not sending my bass to sit in the barrels of the plane with just a soft case.

Have any of you traveled with your bass and actually brought in on the plane with you?? I recently traveled to Seattle and they didnt allow it.

Otherwise I'm going to at least have to buy a hard case and right now my budget is pretty tight.

Any suggestions would be great :bassist:
  2. There have been a lot of threads on this in the past, but since I'm also too lazy to go through it and post a link...

I find on long flights, on larger planes, there's more space on board for bringing your bass along. I've never had a problem with carrying my bass on the plane with me, I usually get a spot in the overhead compartment and I just shove it into the back and use my other carry on luggage to protect the neck, although my UnderCover gig bag (thanks again, Gard!) tends to do the job just fine.
  3. If you have a friend who plays bass, why not try to borrow one temporarily?

4. Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    Bring the gigbag into the plane with you. I've done that... you just have to put up a bit of a fight sometimes
  5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I've traveled a short distance with a locked HSC in "Baggage". A regrettable scenario. Insist on having your instrument be "carry-on". There are long coat storage bins on most airliners to accomodate it.
    If you don't believe me:
  6. leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Recently on Jet Blue, (for checked baggage) they told me they were not responsible for any sort of electronic/musical/mechanical or whatever items. I was informed it was very likely my baggage of that nature would be lost/stolen/damaged/flooded upon(???) etc, no matter how well it was packed, and that they would only worry about clothes and shoes, and that everything else of any sort of nature should be shipped, not checked as baggage. Had to sign a waiver that said they weren't responsible at all, or she wouldn't allow it to be checked.

When I asked questions about this (calmly and politely, I swear), I was threatened that I wouldn't be allowed to fly if I kept holding up the line, so um I'd probably try to avoid checking a bass if you have ANY other option.

FWIW, the bass wasn't lost or harmed at all, but the security people didn't seal either box after checking it (it was double boxed as if for shipping). Lucky. Never again...

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I've had some success in getting the flight attendant allow me to hang my bass up in the coat area @ the front..true, I had a $20 bill stuck to my forehead, but....

Seriously though, if it's a warm weather flight, you really shouldn't have any problems with hanging it up, but check out the policies before you buy the ticket if at all possible.
  8. I've flown across the country a few times with my bass in a hard case in baggage with zero problems. If you do that, I'd suggest bringing some duck tape to put over the latches make sure they stay latched.
  9. wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    I just flew with my bass to NAMM. Stuck it in an overhead bin with my jacket. I did have to guard the bin from some overzealous folks that wanted to stuff their suitcases in the same bin. Most of the folks were pretty cool and willing to work with me.

Unfortunately, the coat closet was full so I couldn't use it. The flight crew were pretty cool and did offer it to me as an option.

I think your attitude towards the crew and other folks flying is a large factor in having any problems. When I fly with my bass, I tend to dress a little nicer and make sure to smile and schmooze....