1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Traveling??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JAGGL3S, Apr 20, 2010.

1. So my band got a gig in Arkansas. Playing a pretty good size show :). IM PUMPED!!. But anyway ive never traveled this far with my bass. ive heard stories about loosning your strings? Dont keep it in the uhaul trailer on the trip there? can anyone help? i dont wanna warp the neck? IM A NOOB so be nice :). THANKS.
    ~Josh~

2. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    You should be more worried about theft than damage. Just make sure the trailer is packed properly (think Tetris) and tie down anything light or loose.

3. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    As long as you have a hardshell case, and everything is packed securely you should do fine. If it is in a U-Haul trailer, maybe designate one area for all of the guitars and basses to be stacked. Then maybe put a cabinet in front of them to prevent them from moving all over the place. Like the previous poster said, when packing think Tetris and try and pack everything as evenly as possible. As far as loosening your strings, you could do that but unless you are going from extreme temperatures really quickly, you don't really need to.

4. nic salsus

nic salsus

Mar 16, 2010
    Don't loosen them. A half step for air travel maybe but you definitely want to keep tension on the truss rod. I worked at a music store and received a lot of high end instruments like Warwicks, Laklands, Sadowskys, PRS etc and they all shipped pretty much tuned to pitch.

5. TortillaChip520

TortillaChip520

Jun 3, 2008
    AZ
    Do you loosen the strings when you aren't playing it?