1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Travelling abroad for a limited period : Should I rent a bass ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by akjn, Jun 30, 2019.

Tags:
  1. akjn

akjn

Jun 30, 2019
    Hi guys,

I'm currently a student in France, I just learned that my school is sending me to Canada (Québec) to spend the last semester of my diploma in January 2020, I'll be back in France around June 2020.

I don't want to completly stop bass during these few months, but I'm a little concerned about bringing my own bass with me, renting a bass in Canada would be much easier. But I never did a rental, I have no idea how much it would cost, I'd like some help from you guys, I hope some of you can help me !

P.S: This is my first post here but I've been around since years !

Stumbo likes this.
  2. I reckon there's a few tbers in Quebec who could lend a helping hand.

akjn likes this.
  3. Artman

Artman Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Georgetown, TX
    Perhaps consider purchasing an inexpensive bass, perhaps even a used entry level one from a reputable builder such as a Squier, Ibanez, Schecter, or similar once you arrive there. Play it during your stay, then put it up for sale or even pawn it before returning home to France.

4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Another idea - I assume there is a music department at the school where you are going. Why not contact them? They might have instruments. There also may be a Jazz workshop or similar you might be able to fit in your schedule.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  5. A benefit for you is $1.00 Euro is about $1.50CAD, so most things should be less expensive for you.

If you’re going to Montreal, Steve’s Music is the main store.

You could also check their local Craigslist or Kijiji ads for a low-cost second hand bass.

6. akjn

akjn

Jun 30, 2019
    I thought about it, this way I won't lose too much money, rental could easily grow few hundred dollars I guess.

Didn't think about that, I've just googled it and it appears they do have a music department ! I'm gonna contact them, thanks :)

I forgot to mention that I will be in Matane, and probably won't have the opportunity to travel a lot, at least not by myself. But I'll keep these websites, I may need them anyway, thanks !

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021