1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

travelling abroad with my bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by goolimari, Aug 14, 2007.

1. goolimari

goolimari

Jun 19, 2007
    Hi,

i am in a fix here and any inputs to sort out my problem would be much appreciated...

I will be travelling back to my home country soon (india) and am taking around 2 basses with me..I hate the thought of transorting the guitars as check-in baggage as this would be a 24 hour flight with 2 to 3 stop overs..(with the check-in baggage changing planes as cargo..ouch!)..

and with all the TSA hullabullo, i can take only one piece of carry-on baggage, that too a max of 45 inches linear length (this basically means that the length + width + height of the carry-on baggage must not exceed 45 inches..now the length alone of a standar bass is around 45 inches!)

I was wringing my hands and wondering what to do when i hit upon a brilliant plan.. what if i dismantle the neck, package the body and neck seperately, put it in my carry on baggage, and then put them together at the other end?..this way, i thnk i can fit both the basses in my carry on..

sweet aint it? but then, maybe not..

But the problem is i got them professionally set up recently. my question is, if i take off the neck and then put it back on, will the set up get screwed? i dont think i will have access to good tech guys in india, and will not be back in the US for atleast 8-10 months..i can probably do some basic set up, but not much..

do you guys think this is workable?...

-Regards

Arvind

2. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Sounds to me like it's time to learn how to do a setup. It's not that hard and if you have more than one bass and you travel it will save you in the long run. :)

3. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Anvil Flight Cases are the only way my basses traveled with me. They went everywhere from Australia, to Japan, to Europe, and not a scratch in 14 years. This would be my suggestion.