Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

travelling amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mattzink, May 6, 2003.

1. mattzink

mattzink

Jun 21, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    hello all!
    i apologize in advance if this question has already been asked. can anyone recommend a good travelling amp? by travelling amp, i mean something tiny that could fit into a suitcase (for instance, the pignose amps that were popular in the 70s for guitar) maybe even something that could fit on a strap.

i'd want something that's fairly true to the tone of the bass - i wouldn't want it to sound like it's coming out of a soup can or am radio. is a good sounding travel amp an oxymoron? thanks to all, matt

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    This is probably not what you wanted to hear but....Unfortunately i think it is. Sorry.

3. arose11

arose11

Sep 30, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    you know what is small and sounds extremely good?
    baby blue SWR (the 1x10 is the one i like better). you can get decent sounding headphone amps though. if you get some good headphones and a raven lab thing.

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Your options in this area are highly limited. If you want something that's true to bass, there are two micro amps that might fit the bill: the GK MB150S/E and the Acoustic Image Contra. Both are $700 and up, weigh about 25 lbs each, and are too bulky to fit inside a suitcase.

A cheaper alternative is the Peavey Microbass, wich is 23 lbs. and has the same form factor as the GK, but only puts 20W into an 8" speaker. It's good for what it is (a practice amp), but will get buried under a loud drummer.

As for the AM radio/soupcan rigs, you can pick up a Fender Amp Can or a Crate Taxi combo. These are both battery powered things designed for subway buskers. You will be audible, but you might not like what you hear. No power cords to worry about, though.

Re headphone amps: I have a Raven Labs PHA-1 headphone amp that I use a lot for practice and learning new songs. It's one of the few "miscellaneous" items I've bought that I actually use. Tascam also came out recently with a high quality portable headphone amp/CD player recently. It looks tasty and is $50 cheaper than the PHA-1.

5. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA