1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Travelling for long time and i dont know what to do with my bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Jazzkuma, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Jazzkuma

Jazzkuma Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2008
    So im in college and playing bass, summer is comin up and I need to go back home, however I do not know what to do with my bass. Taking it home is not an option because I live very far away and taking my bass on the plane would just double the price. Im a bit worried because first of all its summer (im in orange county) so I dont know what the california summer can do to my bass, second of all its probably going to be dry so that is a problem since I wont be there to change the dampit. I could give it to a friend for the 4 months im going to be away but I dont want to be a burden so that was my last option. So i dont know what to do... should I lose the tension in the strings and leave it in my apartment (my roomate is also going to be travelling so no one will be there). I dont know if luthiers do this but I was thinking maybe I could ask the luthier I bought it from to keep it for me just for those 4 months... dont want nethin to happn to my bass.

2. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I used to leave mine in a locker in the music building. It was air conditioned and relatively safe.

3. Jazzkuma

Jazzkuma Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2008
    yeah I dont know, I wont have the ac on the whole time so its a problem. Also I dont know if the ac is very healthy for the bass either cuz doesnt it dry the humidity around?

4. Bass Barrister

Bass Barrister

Nov 4, 2004
    Chicago
    Some luthiers will store your bass as a service but expect to pay a fee for this. Also, if taking this route, determine who bears responsibility for loss/damage (i.e., the place burns down) as some shops will require a liability waiver. In that case, make sure your bass is insured.

5. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    For me, the A/C was much better than leaving it in the Texas dry heat.