1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Travelling to London: advice needed

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jade, May 1, 2006.

1. jade

jade

Mar 8, 2002
    YYC
    I love asking TB for travelling advice. I'm going be flying to London, England on June 27 and leaving from London on July 2. I'm going with a group from my college. It's a small group with the ages ranging from late teens to early 20's. We're willing and hoping to travel outside of London on our 6 days trip. We are also trying to keep it as cheap as possible. We're not big on shopping but we do love sight seeing and seeing anything historic and important!

We would like to see some famous art work and historic pieces. I would like to go to some castles and just go to some historic sites.

Where would you recommend us to go?
    Which museums?
    Which castles?
    Which cities?
    What is the best way to get there?
    How many days should we plan for each city?
    Where should we stay?
    Which hostels are cheap and nice?
    How much film should we bring?

Thanks for all your help! :)

2. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    When you do, Avoid traveling through Great Britain.

3. :confused:

4. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Six days isn't all that much. Don't try and do too much.

In London you've got to go to the Tower of London and the British Museum. The Natural History Museum is fantastic if dinosaurs are your thing. Galleries, you've got the National Gallery, National Portrait Gallery, Tate Britain and Tate Modern. All of which are amazing.

Book tickets well in advance on megabus.co.uk and you can get a trip up to Oxford for £1.50. The Ashmolean museum is great, and go to the Pitt Rivers museum to see some anthropological oddities. Most of the colleges will do guided tours. Christchurch is one of the nicer ones.

Warwick Castle is quite interesting.

Aim to spend four of your six days in London, and use the other two for day trips outside of London.

Don't walk around with your camera around your neck and don't say things are "quaint".

5. pmaraziti

pmaraziti

Feb 12, 2006
    Madrid, Spain
    I love London and I'm there often... the bad news ? It's VERY expensive... so watch where your money goes... it can disappear pretty quickly ! Nevetherless if you're easy and don't look for expensive hotel (I'm afraid that the price/quality ratio although in London is quite bad) you can do decently.

As far as travelling suggestion, you'll visit one of the places in Europe with a lot of history and with a lot of things to do... have a look at the lonely planet guide online and you'll have a good idea of what to do...

I also suggest not to spend too many days out of london and especially do not travel too far... Nevertheless I advise to visit as well Stonehenge, impressing. The tower, the house of parlamient, Westminster and St. Paul are must to visit... if you liked teh Da Vinci Code then go and pay a visit to the Chruch of Templars in the Temple subway station (the place is called as well the Temple). Don't miss nice walk in the parks (not at night though). I love St. James one, the biggest is hyde park... just walking around is great, there're many beautiful neighbourhoods... from the City centre, Southbanks, Little Venice... you'll like it...
    If you're fancy to see something "alternative", go and see Camden Town... one of those street markets with a lot of alternative things, including greag gig wear...if you like certain style ! :) An other famous market is at Notting Hill, if I rememeber correctly ...not everyday, so check it out.
    If you like musicals, the West End (close to Aldwych) is full of it... you might need to buy tickets in advance...

Uff... I love London ! If you need any other info I might help with, just PM me.

Enjoy !

Paolo.

PS: London is NOT the chepaest place to buy a new bass, nevertheless if you want to see a nice bass store, pay a visit to www.basscentre.co.uk

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Apart from what has been said already, if you're talking Castle - I would recommend Windsor - nice place to visit and apart from the Castle itself - which is the main residence of the Queen after Buckingham Palace - it's a nice town and near to the playing fields of Eton and the river!! :)

On Museums - young people seem to actually prefer the Science museum, which is the most interactive and actually has things to do, rather than just admire...:eyebrow:

I would also say that nothing in London is cheap and nice!! ;)

7. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Make sure everyone speaks English... and whatever you do... do not fart in the presence of The Queen... :rollno:

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

You won't get anywhere near the Queen in London!! ;)

9. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Good point. Glad you raised it. :confused:

10. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    He's making a not very elaborate political joke about the ferrying of foreign American terror suspects through English airports to secret CIA tortu... sorry, priso... sorry, luxury spa's in Eastern Europe.

Of course you don't know this because your media is too het up with the Lacrosse jocks at Duke.

11. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    incredible

12. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I haven't been to London since I was 13, and I am still in awe of the Tower. There is so much history there, it's almost unfathomable.

13. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    They had the Tower back then? Wow, it's old …

:D

14. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I was in London a couple years ago, and Steve Lawson took me to meet Wulf Forrester-Barker (another TBer) and Benjamin Ellis (a bass player, but I don't think he's on TB), and we ate at one of the Pakistani curry restaurants on Brick Lane. It was a great experience.

15. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Thanks

16. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Don't bother drinking the water, it's pretty terrible. Just get beer.

Most of the museums are free (or it might be all, I'm not sure). I was in London for a little less than a week, not much time. I went to the Tate and National Gallery, though I didn't get much time in the latter. The Tate is the most interesting for younger kids. There was a special exhibit there called "Embankment" that was really nice. It might still be there.

17. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    I liked Chepstow Castle in Wales the best. It's in ruins, but you still have a sense of awe when you see it.

I liked the British Museum and the Tower. Cool places.

Don't forget to try the fish and chips. It's pretty good!

18. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I found just the opposite to be true. I was rather let down by it. I think it would have left a far greater impact on me if you were allowed any closer than 100 feet to the stones. On the other hand, I was rather ill when I visited, and would still like to visit again in better health. I'd hope to get a better sense of awe with better health, because it really is fascinating.

19. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Hmm...I was concluding that he was making a joke about how most Americans would have no clue what you meant if you said you were travelling to Britain.

Either way, here's a link for a "what to do when in London" tourist site: London @ visitbritain.com

20. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

When I was at Stonehenge, you could still walk among the stones. It was pretty awe inspiring (This was 1978 or so).
    If you aren't allowed near anymore, I'd guess it kind of lessens the impact.