1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Travelling with a NS Design EUB

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by cecoulter5, Jun 7, 2016.

1. cecoulter5

cecoulter5 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2013
    Hello,
    Does anyone have experience travelling in an airplane with an NS Design EUB?
    Did you use the expensive flight case?
    Did you use a cheaper ABS plastic case?
    If so, which one do you have?
    I know Gollihur music sells a couple of different cases (that are cost effective)....
    I will need to travel overseas with my bass and it is hard to justify the $800 price of the flight case NS sells for just one trip.....
    Anyone have a used one to sell?
    Thanks in advance!
    -Chris

2. Get a fishing pole case. They are sold on Amazon.

3. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    We do have an ATA case that is a lot less than $800 but is the equivalent of the one NS supplies.

Fred312b likes this.
  4. cecoulter5

cecoulter5 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2013
    Thanks Mark,
    I think that is the one to get.

5. Pat Harris

Pat Harris Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I've flown many time with my NS CR4M.

I've checked it as baggage in the hard "ski tube" case that I purchased from Gollihur a few years back and I've had zero issues. I have the endpin and tripod stands, and both fit inside the hard case, and there's still room for my bow (also in it's own hard case). Never broken, never charged oversize/weight fees. I drop the tension of the strings if it's going down below, but other than that, it's been incredibly easy to transport.

The hard case can even fit in the overhead of most 737s that I've been on. I've done this on flights where I have to fly and gig the same day. To the TSA, I always refer to it as my "custom fretless bass guitar" or "electric cello" to avoid anything having to do with the words "upright bass."

6. rkybtmn

rkybtmn Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    Brooklyn
  7. joenoone

joenoone

Mar 21, 2009
    Clermont, FL
    I know it's an old thread, but anyone else have any recommendations? I was looking for something myself.

8. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    I do agree the NS Design cases are expensive. I can also say they do their job. I toured one of the old US series NS Design 6-strings for many years. The bass and stand were packed in the soft bag inside the NS Design flight case. The case was used in truck pack. In other words the case was used like any other case as part of a "Tetris puzzle" to brace a load that weighed multiple tons. The case held up well and never showed any signs of duress.

We also toured with keyboards that were in SKB Roto-Molded cases. Some people call these "flight cases," but IMHO they are using the term loosely. They tended to last for awhile as long as they were not used to brace the load. We pretty much put the more fragile gear on top after the load was secured, and that is where the SKB Roto cases normally went.

One day we had an inexperienced person loading the truck and unfortunately he used one of the keyboards packed in an SKB standing up in the front corner of the truck. The keyboard was damaged severely. When the crushed case was opened to inspect the damage, broken keys fell out all over the floor.

It's entirely possible you can get by with a less expensive case. Just put some serious thought into the type of abuse the case will have to endure and buy accordingly.

Tom Lane and equill like this.
  9. joenoone

joenoone

Mar 21, 2009
    Clermont, FL
    I'm sure - my Synapse case has served me well, but I got a used WAV4 and don't travel with it often so I just wanted something I could use to throw it in the back seat for an occasional gig.

Wasnex likes this.
  10. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    If I was just throwing the bass in the back seat of car, I would probably just use the gig bag. The hard case would eventually tear up the inside of car ;). The other thing to consider, the hard case adds a considerable amount of weight and you can't really sling it over your shoulder. You pretty much have to consider your needs, balance convenience versus protection.

For local gigs we traveled in a van and I generally used the Flt case. Sometimes I left the case in the van though.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 8, 2021