Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Travelling with upright DB via Amtrak

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Lotophage, Aug 29, 2001.

1. I'm transferring from one school in the US to another and I need to transport myself and my belongings from Chicago, IL to Seattle, WA. Unfortunately this includes my bass. Currently there is a sale on rail tickets with Amtrak and I can get a one-way ticket for $110. Because I'm in a pinch and had to transfer at the last minute, plane tickets are not a financially feasible option for me. Anybody have suggestions as to the cheapest way to get my bass (safely) to Seattle via train? I've considered buying a second seat, but I don't know what Amtrak would think of that. Obviously, I'd prefer to forego the expense of renting and shipping a hard case by keeping the bass in my possession. Any nuggets of wisdom or experience would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

2. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I've taken many trips via Amtrack. Let me tell you the sleepers are worth the money.

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Amtrak tends to be pretty loose about these things, and it sounds as if you'll be traveling off peak. Are you in Chicago now? (Your profile is blank.)

I suggest you make a trip to Union Station and actually talk with one of the Amtrak crews. If you're not local, drop me an email and I'll talk to my Amtrak buddies.

4. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I realize i'm bumping a 4 year old thread, but since it fits my question nearly exactly-i thought i would bump it rather than starting a new thread.

I'll be traveling between Chicago [Roosevelt University] and my home in Lafayette, IN for breaks from school-so i'm wondering if it would be a feasible option to take Amtrak-if buying an additional ticket would allow me to avoid some of the hassle/nagging of taking a DB [and a BG] on a train, i'm up for it-but if they don't allow it-i'll find a different way.

So my question is-has anyone recently had any experience taking a DB on an Amtrak train? [IIRC, tickets vary from $16 to about $30 for the stations i'd be traveling to/from].

That's all and thanks.

Cam

5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I travel quite a bit on Amtrak. The official answer is that Amtrak doesn't allow basses on board. You have to send them cargo. I take the bass on the train quite a bit, and have only had one experience where they wouldn't let me on. I finally got it on by converting the return trip half of the ticket to a seat for the bass. The conductor never asked for the bass's ticket, so I never showed it and then used it to get back home.

Get to the track as early as possible. Ask the conductor where an empty crippled-spot is. The other thing that I do is get in the club car. There's usually a bid spot at one end where there is no booth. I lay the bass there, usually on a stack of boxes of napkins or something, with the neck on the table of the next booth and then spend my time there.

6. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Thanks Ray-it's greatly appreciated.