Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Traynor 2.7ohm 3x12 with a SVT ??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wounded Paw, Mar 2, 2004.

1. So at practice last night I managed to blow one of the drivers on a 2x15 I was borrowing with my vintage SVT head. I believe it was an 8ohm cabinet and the driver was in rough shape to start with.
    Anywayz, the only other cabinet I could use was a very old Traynor 3x12 cabinet which was rated at 2.7 ohms. This makes sense for 3 drivers but my question is what will the SVT think it is? The old SVTs automatically switch to the 2 ohm tap when both speaker jacks are in use, they're expecting to see a 4 ohm load on each jack. What happens when you plug one 2.7 ohm load into one jack? Using one jack means the amp is running off the 4 ohm tap right? It sounded good and everything, actually giving me more volume at lower settings than ever before but was I putting the amp in danger by doing this?

2. From what I know about tube amps it is better to have the cab rated lower than the amp meaning Amp set to 4ohm cab rated 2.7 is better than amp set for 2 ohm and cab rated at 2.7 or higher. Psycho! help me out here.

3. Greybeard got it right, and to answer your question about the jacks, if you use the "speaker out" jack, it uses the 4 ohm tap off the transformer. The amp ONLY switches to the 2 ohm tap if you plug into the "extension speaker" jack on the far right. You don't have to use both jacks for a 2 ohm load. Either output will be OK for a 2.66 ohm cab, but 4 ohms will be SAFER for the amp.

4. I was under the impression you needed to use the speaker jack first and the extensions speaker jack only when using both. Can you plug a single cabinet into the extensions speaker jack only? Doesn't that mean there's no load across the first output, no wait a minute, if they're parrallel outputs it wouldn't matter right?
    I was also under the impression that when using both jacks the amp uses the 2 ohm tap across both, i.e. 2 x 4ohm outputs in parrallel.
    I know the later models did things differently but I'm talking about an early 70's Magnavox SVT

5. No, if you're using a two ohm load, all you have to do is plug into the second jack, which trips the switch. The first jack is automatically linked to the two ohm tap by the switch. The two ohm switch disconnects the four ohm tap. Both jacks are ON the two ohm tap, but neither has an "individual" impedance; they're switched between the taps by the switch in the extension jack.

6. Ah, now I see. All makes sense now.
    Thanx PBG