1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Traynor 200 w all tube head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cuatro_cuerdas, Sep 28, 2010.

1. cuatro_cuerdas

cuatro_cuerdas

Apr 2, 2010
    Hi,

I am thinking of buying a new all tube bass head. There is not posible for me to test the Traynor because I haven't seen it on any store where I live.

I had checked both TB and harmony central reviews, and it seems that there is both really bad and really good reviews about this amp. My question is, since i cannot test the amp, if there is somebody out there who has played this amp with a 2x15 cab. I have a vintage 2x15 cab made by kustom from the 70's. and If there is somebody who has played this amp with a Fender jazz bass american deluxe.

Some inputs here?

2. maevinj

maevinj

Feb 10, 2008
    ALB!
    I've got a 70's Traynor 215 cab and with the yba200-2 and it kills. I don't have an american deluxe but I do play through an american jazz. It's great. The only thing that would sound better to me would be two orange obc115s. I play alot of rock/indie/punk just for reference.

3. cuatro_cuerdas

cuatro_cuerdas

Apr 2, 2010
    Thanks for your reply man, I always had been a bit curious about the sound of that amp, specially for the prize, lots of people commented that the amp is quite hi fi with the matching cab, but I don't think it will be hifi with my vintage cab with no tweter. Will see I still need to test the amp some how. But how about power? I don't hink I need an ampeg svt 300 w to be heard, but still, I like it loud :). I play now with a yamaha b100 head which insane loud and this is just 250 solid state watts....

4. maevinj

maevinj

Feb 10, 2008
    ALB!
    Honest, the only thing the SVT has over the Traynor is it stays cleaner at higher volumes imho.I played a gig at an empty baseball field on a flatbed last winter with no FOH and I didn't go past 5 on the master. Now I did have my gain on about 8, but I like lots of grit on my sound. The key to being louder is more speakers.

5. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    I like the Traynor, I went halves on one with my housemate, if he hadn't bought me out, I'd probably still be using it. Except probably not as I have a Matamp now.

6. cuatro_cuerdas

cuatro_cuerdas

Apr 2, 2010
    You have a matamp!!!! Man, those things look nice !. But the price is just too much for my wallet:(.

7. I have a 1968 Traynor 200 Watt amp, and it still rocks after all these years. This old amp still has the guts to power a 6-celestian speaker cabinet without any problem.

I know it would be an expensive treck out to the Los Angeles area to shop for an amp, but I do see the oldies at pawn shops around LA and Orange County. I hope you find the one you are seeking in GA. My only advice is to make sure you have a little fan to cool off the tubes if you plan on jammin with it for more than an hour. My Traynor runs real hot after an hour, and the little fan helps. Best of luck to you on the search.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021