1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Traynor 4x12 or Mesa 1 x 15?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jeff60thP, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Jeff60thP

Jeff60thP

Oct 19, 2013
    Hi. First post!

I have a 4ohm Markbass 4x10.
    I want to be able to run my amp @ 2 ohms and increase the low end at high volumes.

My dealer has a Traynor 4x12 and a Mesa 1x15.
    Both are on sale at great prices but there isn't an amp at the store right now that can drive a 2ohm load to test with.

Any ideas which cab is likely to have lower extension?

Thanks.

2. Go play them?

3. Matching cabs is the best bet (another 4X10)

If you are going to mix cabs - do not get a 1X15 to pair up with your 4X10

4. slade

slade

Apr 5, 2001
    Go play them both side by side for an a/b comparison. If you're willing to try a Frankenstein rig go for it- it's a roll of the dice but can work out killer

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    What's the impedance of the Mesa 115? But yeah, I've gotta +1 the mixed rigs is a bad idea notion. Matched cabs will always work better.

6. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    you'll be so sad that you won't be able to hear how awesome the 115 is, don't do it

7. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    Unless you can bi-amp, you're wasting power and overcompensating with mixing cabs.

Do you run your amp full-out as it is?

8. I trust that your amp is 2 ohm stable? I ask because not many are.

+1 to not mixing cabs if you can. Those 4x12 Traynors are a great price right now, maybe grab two (!) of them? Or, try running through just one of them and see if you like the sound. Personally, I can't imagine needing more low end or volume than you'd get from just going through the single Traynor cab.