Traynor Bass amplifiers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hoel, Feb 12, 2004.

1. hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway

I am thinking of buying (_very_ cheap) an old Traynor YBA-1A Bass Master Mark II (90 Watts Sine Wave @ 8 Ohms) and have a couple of questions...

1) Has anyone tried these bassamps? I don't have the opportunity to try it, but one guy told me it sounds something like "Ampeg meets Hiwatt"

2) Will 90 Watts do? I'm used to playin' quite loud. I have 2 Eden 210T cabs. I also have an Eden WT-800, but I wan't an OK fully tube-sounded amp too.

3) I found quite some information about this amps on Yorkwille's webpages. Looks like a cool amp.

4) I have a 1964 Fender Jazzbass. Would this sound good together with it, and the two 210T cabs?

I appreciate every answer I can get.

2. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I used to own a YBA-1.

It was quite the amp. Very little hassle indeed (built to last!!!). But they are quite rare to come by.

My old amp was 45 watts sign wave and I've heard of people driving 400 watt 410's. However that is only what I heard and I wouldn't try this.

If I were you I'd try and find an efficient but good sounding 112 or 115. Something with a nice growl. That would be quite a setup.
  3. I have that very amp with its matching 2x15 cabinet.

That's a pretty accurate description. Traynors have more upper midrange than most bass amps, but aren't nasal, and make KILLER guitar amps.

It won't get anywhere near as loud as your Eden. You might use it for tone if you can mic it through a PA, but it will NOT get loud enough otherwise. It's NOT 90 watts, it's 45. Even with a modified power supply the amp can't put out 90 watts. Whoever told you it's 90 watts is wrong.

It will sound good, but will lack low end. Traynors aren't very bassy.
  4. hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    Interesting, I guess I must crank the bassknob all the way up then.

I really can't make up my mind, it's not very much money, and It's a cool amp to own (rare too), but if it doesn't play any loud, I might just as well throw the money away.

5. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    My old traynor had lots of bass.

Again I stress get an efficient speaker and I think you'll be pleased. If your looking for a round vintage tone go for it. If your looking for a bazillion watts then don't.

As soon as I got rid of mine lots of people were giving me good comments about traynor up the ying yang.

- What year is the amp made in?
    - What are the tubes in it?
    - what type of condition is it in?
    - how much are you buying it for?
    - where would you like to use this amp
  6. Be VERY aware that the speaker out jacks on a Traynor are a bit different than what you're probably used to. Traynor cabs were typically 4 ohms, and when you connected the extension speaker the two cabs were wired in SERIES for a total of 8 ohms. Just bear that in mind when you're connecting your cabs. These amps really prefer an 8 ohm load. Enjoy!
  7. hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    Thanks guys, for answering my post. It really helps me..

But I'm not sure if I understood the last post? I have two 8 ohm cabs, won't it work?

8. Don't worry. You can use both of your cabinets. If you have two connectors on one (or both) of your cabinets, just connect the cabinets together and then use one cable to the "speaker out" connector on the Traynor head.

NOTE: You don't want to use the "extension speaker" jack on the Traynor.

In the event that you do not have two connectors on either of your cabinets you will need someone to make a simple parallel speaker cable to connect the head to both cabinets for you. If you need information on how to wire the cable let us know and we'll get you going.
  9. Actually Oddio, the YBA-1 is different from the YBA-3: The YBA-1's output jacks ARE paralleled whereas they're series in the bigger amp. It only wants an 8 ohm load. The 2x15 I have has two 16 ohm Altecs in parallel. BTW, Traynors aren't particularly rare. They're VERY common. Traynor was often called the "Canadian Peavey" because of the large amounts of amps they made. They're tough as nails, too.
  10. When it comes to amps I will happily defer to PBG's knowledge. I absolutely agree on the YBA-1, but was lead to believe that the YBA-1A Mk II (80 watts) had this same annoying "series" feature. Could be my bad.

Lots of Traynors still in circulation up here, although the prices have been edging up a bit lately.
  11. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    Let's not generalize about Traynors. My MonoblockII doesn't lack lows - though I agree it's default voice is in the grinding mids HiWatt/Ampeg, but the MonoBlock II has the 3-band rotary plus those EQ faders eh? - and it drives a 2 Ohm load all day every Sunday with no complaints.

Very different than the YBA and an absolutely killer amp. Tough? It is made of metal !! I have dropped mine on concrete a few times, with not a problem and the concrete took the brunt of the damage. This HC review excerpt is accurate : "Go ahead and toss one out the window, it'll save you lugging it's weight down to the car."

YBA, MonoBlock, whatever, those old Traynors are excellent.

PBG, I've said this to you before, but I was shocked to look inside mine one day and find ... almost nothing ! It's practically empty. How hard could it be for us to cheaply copy that circuit into a small and lightweight chassis? Maybe put a 12Ax7 in front of it. We'd be RICH my good man. Since Yorkville won't bother, let me know if/when you're up for it.
  12. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    smash what cabinet are you driving with your mono block?
  13. Oddio,

The Mark II is what I have. It has the parallel outputs. The main differnces between it and a Mark I are that the Mark II does not have a choke and runs lower plate voltages. The Mark II's are also different cosmetically; they're much wider and are all black with a four band EQ rather than the midrange expander of the earlier model.

I need to see what's inside one. If Yorkville won't make it, it's probably because the transistors aren't made anymore.
  14. Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    Psycho, I always thought the YBA-1 made about 50 watts and the YBA-1A (like he's looking at) made more like 80 or 90, no? The 1A had bigger trannies and more plate voltage, I think.
  15. Here's why it's so confusing: the YBA-1A and YBA-1B run higher voltage but they're earlier amps than another YBA-1A version which has lower plate voltage. I just checked all the schematics for the YBA1 models and every one has parallel outputs. There are five different variations of the YBA-1 Bassmaster!

Check them out here:
  16. Excellent resource, PBG and many thanks for setting that series/parallel thing straight. By the way, does your YBA-1 have the chrome bumpers or is it the the older plain-jane case with the script logo? There's a reason I'm asking...

Interesting... the YBA-1A here is shown with the 4-ohm 8x10" and folded horn 18" cabinets.
  17. Here's a GREAT Traynor reference page:

but it doesn't have a picture of one like mine. (I have GOT to get a digital camera!) Mine looks like this one on eBay right now:

except that the eBay amp has been recovered in tan tolex with a tweed grille and mine has the Traynor bumpers. You can see how much wider it is than other Traynor Bassmasters.

Here's a better picture of the YBA4 combo which is the combo version of mine. If you can imagine chopping it off as a head, this is exactly what mine looks like:
  18. hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    Thank you so much for answering guys. It really helps me out. I'll let you know if I buy it :)

19. lasttry

Dec 6, 2008
    Hi. I just joined upon finding this thread via Google. Can someone please help me understand how my silver trim YBA-1 is set up as far as the speaker out and extension out?

1. What is the output tranny's intended ohmage out when I plug one cab into the normal speaker jack?

2. Is it in fact the case that the extension speaker out jack is wired in parallel with the normal speaker out jack?

3. And here's a very important consideration I can't find addressed anywhere: how tolerant are the YBA-1s to mismatches? E.g., almost all Fender BF and SF amps are fine and happy with 2:1 mismatches in either direction. What about the YBA-1?

Thanks very much for whatever insights y'all can provide.

P.S. I did find an old YBA-1 owner's manual posted somewhere but it said nothing about ohmage (what was the author thinking [or not])?!