Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Traynor Bass Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RockFiend, Apr 5, 2001.

1. RockFiend

RockFiend

Aug 23, 2000
    I've been looking to get rid of a lil 200 watt @8ohm Ampeg bass combo for a tube head, and a bass cab--- i wanted to get a cab that wasn't so muddy sounding, like 2x15",s or anything like that, and i was looking into 4x10s or 8x10s---- I like vintage equipment, and I found an 8x10 Traynor cab still in good shape,, I was wondering if anyone out there knows about the quality of Traynors--- which has now become Yorkville after Peter Traynor left the company years ago--- and also if the impedance on an 8x10 would be 4 or 8 ohms,,, i don't have ultimate knowledge of amps and i was wondering if I'd need to split the power between two cabs to get the max amount of wattage at 4ohms or ifm an 8x10 such as these Traynors may already have a 4 ohm impedance?? If any can offer sum feedback that'd be much appreciated.
    -
    RockFiend

2. LWatford

LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    I have a Traynor Bassmaster head, and I know it is pretty reliable. Supposedly, one of the tests they did with the stuff was to drop it from the roof of the factory. I've never seen a Traynor cab, but they are probably just as sturdy. There is a site (Velvet Black maybe?) that has scematics and stuff, you should be able to search and find a good deal of information on the internet.

Lee

3. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I grew up playing through Traynor amps. I guess i'm lucky because I live in Toronto and that's where Yorkville Sound started and remains to this very day.
    Traynor's YC-810 my favourite cabinet, they're great. Especially when used with a Traynor YBA-3 "Custom Special" amp head. I played my 72 Rickenbacker through this combination for years. Nothing could come close to it for all around sound.
    The YC-810 is a 4 Ohm cabinet that has a power capacity rating of 400 watts PGM. Yorkville always used Marsland speakers in their cabinets until the early 70's when they got into Cerwin-Vega 15" and 18 inch speakers. The YC-810 is wired in both series and parallel. They wired 4 sets of two 10" speakers in parallel and then connect them in series. FYI the YC-810 was made between 1967 and 1976.
    You might also consider their YC-610 and YC-410 cabinets. They are also both excellent bass cabs.
    Unfortunately due to the size of the YC-810 and Custom Special I sold them about ten years ago. You can still find usually in good condition if you look for them. The Rickenbacker on the other hand is in the room next door to my computer, and there it will stay.
    Cheers

4. ok well i am curently borowing a traynor 2x15 all i can say is it is a big heavy brick, thats all i can say because the speakers were replaced and it was rewired. it is fairly nice but it can only handle 80 watts at 8 ohms.