Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

traynor monoblock II & ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jimmy ray, Mar 19, 2003.

1. Hi, I did a search on this & didnt really come up with any answers to my questions, so here goes....
    I've seen a traynor monoblock II at a pawnshop here, they're 325w into 2ohms, my questions are, what can i do for a cab? (I havent heard of many 2ohm cabs, and my location doesnt help me either) I was looking at getting an avatar 115 or 210 to start with, but they're each only listed at 4ohms, and i know that putting 2 into a 4 will probably cause some damage. is there anything i can get to lower it to 4ohms? this is my first time dealing with heads/cabs so sorry if any of this is a little basic. i'm open to any other suggestions you guys have, thanks for you help
    andy

2. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    2 cabs rated at 4 ohms each will go perfectly with an amp rated at 2 ohms...Go for it man!

3. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    You've got it backwards (among other things). You're not really putting 2 or 4 or 8 "into" anything.

Using a 4ohm cab with a 2ohm head is fine. Using anything >2 ohms is fine. You just won't get as much power out of the amp.

Think of ohms as a resistance. The speakers in the cabinet want to resist the power that the amp provides them. The higher the number of ohms, the more they resist. When the number is too low, the cab doesn't resist all the power and the amp tries to give it as much power as it can handle. As a result, the amp will probably be very unhappy that it has to feed the hungry cabinet and bad things will happen.

When you have two cabs of the same resistance (ohm rating) hooked in parallel, they like to split the power, thus the resistance is decreased.