Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Traynor... Nothing touches it!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tmu, Jun 23, 2004.

1. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    Holy cow, what an amp this new Traynor YBA200 is! 44 pounds, 200 TUBE watts. Of course, good stats... who cares! BUT! Listen to the thing! Amazing! I traded in my Mesa and Eden rig for it!

2. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    what cab are you playing through?

3. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    around
    pics!

what cab do you run it with?

4. Good score. Definately pics. If joshsmog gets on here he should show his too.

5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    You're right... I certainly wouldn't touch it! ;)

If you like it though, that's killer? Why did you trade in? What do you like about it that the other amps didn't do for you?

6. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    Some quick replies... I got the traynor cab too... Anyways, I found that the traynor had a much more extended frequency range. The mesa sounded like mud through the same cab when you listened to them both. I know you have your doubts Ben, but man, you gotta try it. The build quality is exceptional too; very solid, and an unlimited warranty (2 years on electronics, 10 YEARS on wooden cabinets). I also found that there was a very nice harmonic content in the lower register that was nowhere to be seen in the Mesa.

As far as the cab, it is also very nice, but I found the tweeter to be unneeded. Perhaps when the speakers are broken in it may have more use.

By the way, the traynor is alot punchier than the mesa.

7. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    A big thing that it had that other amps didn't for me was the clarity, but also the huge bottom end. Lots of times it seems like amps have one or the other. Moreover, I like things simple, and it has a really simple tone stack (I think 5 band parametric is a bit overkill for me).

8. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Was your Mesa a SS one? I assume the Eden was as well. I just experienced a similar thing moving from SS to tube when I got my Bass 400+. Tubes really seem to bring out the low end in bass as well as keeping all the other frequencies that I hold dear. I swear I had never heard bass sound so ballsy when I plugged in that tube amp for the first time. Took some getting used to (it's like a constant earthquake of sexy bass goodness).

Congrats on the new tube amp. I'm becoming a tube junkie myself (got another one coming tomorrow). Traynors are sounding mighty fine, though my Mesa addiction continues. Now to continue my quest for the brown note.

9. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    There are a couple of old school Traynors on ebay currently. Is the older stuff smash or trash?

10. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    From what I hear, the old, old stuff is good. However, if you want something that you know will be intact and working, I would get the new one (YBA200). The mesa I had was "Simulstate" in the power section, while the preamp was tube.

11. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    A real advantage of the new one is that it won't break your back at 440 pounds!

12. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    I checked ebay, I don't know if some (TS-200) is solidstate or not. As far as I know, the old tube bass Traynors were lower wattage.

13. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    That TS-200 looks like it was stored in a grain silo. Buying an old tube amp is a crapshoot. I'd be scared of both of them.

14. Is the cab bright? I'm gonna get that whole setup you have and I'm hopin it will have enough lows for me. I like Eden 2x15 like lows, or Ampeg 810 lows. Where does it fit between those do you think?

15. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    The eden and ampeg cabs might be great. Especially an 8 by 10. One limitation of the cab is that it is pretty trebly, but it doesn't sacrifice lows for this. I think it is a good choice, definitely more cost effective than the other two (about half the price). Plus, it has the 10" speakers which help for mids (over the 215). It is lighter than the other two you mentioned. HOWEVER, I love the sound of Ampeg 810s, and if you have the balls to carry it, I'm sure you'd love the tone. The 410HLF and 610HLF would also probably be good options. I haven't heard the amp with the other cabs, so I am just speculating. But there were definitely lots of lows in the traynor cab. If you have more questions about the amp, fire away!

16. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    the cab is pretty bright with the tweeter on... I don't use the tweeter, so... not a problem. Especially after the speakers break in.

17. I sure do love my traynor!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (dont mind the weird settings)

It's amazing how versatile it is. You can go from old school fat tube sound right into chunky modern tones instantly.

18. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    tonight, I promise :)

19. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    When I tried the YBA200, I didn't mean to trash it(If I actually did). It just did not work well with my GS112 cabs. I am one with those cabs and no one will pry me away! I absolutely loved the build quality of the YBA200, as well as its well-thought out feature set.
    While it did not work for me, I can still highly recommend it, as it is a SCREAMIN' DEAL!!!

Kim