1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Traynor/Tube Amp ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fishheadjoe, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Hey folks,
    I have a Traynor YBA-1 amp and matching twin 15 cabinet... all original! This amp is my first personal foray into the tube world. I have had a Sunn Beta Bass amp for many years.
    I'm finding that the tone controls on my Traynor are becoming "less sensitive" in that boosting the treble does very little to change the sound, similarly, the bass control is also beginning to be less effective.
    So, my question, I believe this amp has both a power and pre-amp, separate tubes as part of it's configuration. Does my "lack of tone control" indicate that the pre amp tube is beginning to go?
    Also, I have hooked my Sunn amp up to act as a pre amp for the traynor, with the pre amp out, going into the input of the Traynor. It really seems to have opened up the sound of the Traynor amp.
    Thanks for your consideration!
    fishheadjoe

2. Get the tubes checked and replace the ones that are reading low.

Paul

3. What does your amp look like? What are the tone knobs labelled? Later Traynor bass amps were changed to tone stacks that are much more guitar than bass friendly. If you have a later model YBA-1, it's acting completely normal, but there are other things you can do to improve your tone without serious modifications to your amp.

4. Well, based on it's serial number and my research on the Traynor site, I'd say the head and cabinet were born in either 1968 or 1969. The tone configuration is pretty simple, treble and bass and also a high range expander and a low range expander. I hope this helps?
    So, back to my original question and again, apologizes for being uninformed, but would a slowly failing preamp tube show its' self by beginning to not react to tonal changes on the amp itself?
    Here's a pic of the front of the amp... sorry for the lousy quality!
    http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2144236700103676882LOvFaL
    Here's a pic of the back of the head:
    http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2210965030103676882TNnDgX
    *****What can I do to change the tonality of the amp? I'd be very interested to know!*************
    Thanks all!
    fishheadjoe

5. You can change all sorts of things but it will still be a low powered 50W amp. Traynor used Hammond iron in their amps that were almost indestructible so they are prime candidates for a rebuild, I've done quite a few. My only caveat is your experience with high voltage tube amplifiers. They can kill you very quickly if you don't know what you are doing.

Paul

6. fender_mod

fender_mod

Jun 23, 2005
    even new traynors are passive eq's, meaning they can only cut frequencies and not boost them. i got a yba 200 1st gen and the tone controls are pretty useless, though the range control helps out. ill be fixing this problem by getting a graphic eq and putting it in the effects loop.

7. Thanks folks! Any suggestions locally for a re-build? I really would like this amp to perform to it's capabilities... me on the other hand, well reaching my capabilities might take a lot more effort! LOL
    fishheadjoe

8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Check the amp builder's section at Webervst. You're bound to find someone there.