Traynor YB-12 speaker cabinet opinions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tomhanzo, Apr 11, 2014.

1. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
    I recently bought a Traynor YBA-1 head from 1970 (the rubber and Crome bumper ones) with a 1971 matching 2x12 cab.

The head is amazing through my Hartke AK 4x10, but the 2x12 Traynor cab has blown speakers and runs at 16 ohms.

I want to put new speakers wired to be 8ohms in it so I can use the matching beautiful stack.

Any suggestions? I use a lot of overdrive and fuzzface. I keep my sound very dirty with lots of mids. Think BRMC.

2. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
  3. Register_To_Disable

4. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
  5. sub-commandante

sub-commandante

Feb 12, 2016
    See if you can find some old CTS 12's for it, they should be able to handle the power if its dirt and not thump.
    The old kustom tuck and roll pa cabs are loaded with them.

6. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
    I'm just wondering if the cab will sound good as a bass cab.

7. sub-commandante

sub-commandante

Feb 12, 2016
    Hard to say, but i just used one of the old bass cabs in a gig and it sounded great.It was the 4x10, and i drove it with an SVT and VT overdrive.The following act used that and an old traynor 2x12 as well. he had great tone.

8. The cab originally probably didn't sound that great to begin with. As a Canadian, we see Traynor stuff all the time and honestly, the tube heads are cool, but Traynor cabs kinda suck, especially the early stuff like the late 60's early 70's.
    If I were in your situation, I would be looking a securing a more modern cab. It will be more efficient, lighter and have far better sound. Investing money into that can would be a waste of $$ as it will never sound as good as anything modern, will weigh a ton and not be very loud before fart out starts.
    I'd sell the box as is and move on....
    Fishheadjoe

9. sub-commandante

sub-commandante

Feb 12, 2016
    I disagree, at low volumes they sound good and are lighter than most bass cab, but you are right... better to get a dedicated bass cab to use with the head, but keep the cab in case you sell the head and they are a matched set.

10. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
    That's kind of where I am now. I think I'm gonna put some new guitar speakers in it, and I'll use it as a guitar cab.

11. That sounds like a viable plan. You may also want to have a look at the inside and see if it has any dampening material and deal with that appropriately.
    Fishheadjoe

12. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    the beta 12a2 by eminence will be good start as bass speaker.

13. so, you want us to find you two 12" drivers that are in either 4 or 16 ohms that would work in an unknown box? I've heard good things about people loading up the old 610s with eminence alphas, I think Weber should sell one in 16 ohms too, and with a YBA 1 at either 50 or 100 watts (I forget which), you shouldn't have to worry too much about the power handling of two twelves. Modeling the box is a concern, but at this power level, it's not absolutely necessary IMO.

14. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    it's a sealed 2x12 and will be the fairly typical sealed volume. 2 to 2.5
    cubic. I just forget if the YB1a only had a 8ohm tap or if it had a 16 and a 8 that was switched out at the jacks. been awhile I sold mine years ago. if it has the huge transformer it's 70/80 watts or the later models had smaller transformers for 40/50watts.

15. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    and the alphas are very poor sensitivity and only available in 8ohm just like the beta so scratch that. he needs 16ohm speakers in parallel for 8ohm load.

for few extra bucks the delta12b
    Will be much higher quality than the poppy alpha. and give you a 16ohm pair in parallel for a 8ohm load. which I think is all the traynor has available and is pretty important to maintain