1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Traynor YBA 200 questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sean S, Dec 4, 2006.

1. I might be getting one of these this week used. Is there anything I should be wary of? Anyone had any problems with theirs?
    Yorkville and a major local dealer aren't too far from me for servicing, but it's nice to have a certain confidence in your gear. I know Traynor gear is notoriously reliable, but every family has their black sheep.

Thanks in advance

sean

2. Oh, and do you think it's a suitable replacement for a GK 700RBII?

It's my first foray into the tube world :D

3. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Replacement? Probably not unless you're looking for a pretty serious tonal overhaul. I have a Classic 400 and a 700RB, and while they both have a great driven sound, they're still at opposite ends of the tonal spectrum IMO. I say apples to oranges.

4. point taken . I haven't really used the GK much but in recent months I've been wanting more of a warm "supporting" sound than solo bass, if you get what I mean...will this achieve that?

5. Just make sure you're not paying too much. Please remember that used gear usually does not come with any warranty, and L&M will bend over backwards to help our customers. Literally. I'd say unless you're paying at least 200$ less than new price, get a new one. At least that way you'll be getting brand new tubes and a full warranty. PM me if you have any more questions, as I do work at the aformentioned dealer, at least out here in Cowtown.

6. Bassjunior, it's the L&M in Burlington, ON (a little far from you :p)

what is the new price? I think I'm getting a pretty good deal, but I suppose it's a good idea to shop. How is (your?) L&M with deals? do they allow for substantial bargaining?

sean

7. As I understand, Traynor's (Yorkville) warranty is fully transferable - so if you buy it used the warranty is still valid. Theirs is one of the best I've heard of as well - 2 years UNLIMITED (even if you break it) and 10 years limited.
    http://www.traynoramps.com/default.asp?p1=7&p2=0&p_id=29

I just bought one of these heads today via eBay (a music store in the USA). I live across the street from an L&M location but even after the exchange and shipping and taxes it's still $100 less than the sticker price at L&M.

8. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Assuming I get what you mean, I'd say you should be able to achieve that sound quite easily with this head, though I still find both the 700RB and Classic 400 able to fill that role (though admittedly the Classic 400 does it much, much more naturally whereas the 700RB requires a bit of tweaking).

edit: I realize I'm comparing my GK with a different tube head than Bobb is considering, but I hope everyone can see that I'm using the Classic 400 as an example of a tube head and its characteristics, though in actuality they may not have much similarity in design or in sound. Take that as a disclaimer :)

9. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I've been to the Burlington L&M and recently bought an Artcore bass from them. They're an honest store, in my experience and give very good customer service and want you to be happy with your purchase. They are however, not a non profit organization or charity and need to make a profit in order to stay in operation, just like any business. In Canada, I doubt you'll find a much cheaper price for new Traynor or Yorkville gear. I know as I've shopped around. Deal wise, I don't get much in the way of substantial reductions in price even though I've been a long time L&M customer at various stores in Ontario. I do get excellent service however.

Here's what I suggest if you're set on the Traynor YBA--Talk to Pierre at the L&M Burlington store and tell him you've been in contact with the guy who just had him order in an Ibanez Artcore bass and that you want to know all you can about that amp and its history. Pierre is not a bass player though and doesn't understand a lot about the gear. He's a very good guy though and really goes out of his way to help. While you're there, ask to speak to Drew, who is an experienced working bassist and get his opinion on the YBA tube amp. He's not a salesman there and works in a dfferent department but knows all the bass gear very well.

My own opinion? I think the Yorkville tube head is decent for the money. However, the GK 700 RB will blow it away in clean volume and will be much more useable for live gigs. I am concerned the Traynor won't have enough clean power to handle a really loud gig. Combined with a very efficient cabinet, like one of the Yorkville cabinets, it'll get pretty loud and sound like a tube amp. But it's for sure nowhere near the GK 700 RB and the GK will get a very good overdriven sound once you learn how to use the boost control properly. GK is also very reliable and I've used GK for many years with no complaints. I've also used Yorkville a lot and own one of their smaller combos for use at home as a practice amp and for teaching. They are also excellent for reliability.

You can send me a personal message if you want me to go into more detail. I'd be glad to help all I can.

10. Voltaren

Voltaren

Sep 11, 2005
    far far away
    Play it before you buy it Sean, I have owned and gigged with this amp solidly for the last odd 15 months, to be honest I am in the market for another amp.

This amp has an overbearing hifi sound to it, even the noise of strings hitting frets takes a bit of dialing out and hence limiting the sounds available to you.

To get any clean sounds at gigging volume you will HAVE to change the preamp tubes. there is no end of threads in the forum on this subject.

Do not expect the output tubes to last a long time.

To get the most out of this amp it is best played through a 4ohm cab. You will not be able to use the whole 200w if played through an 8 ohm cab.

Though the above sounds all a bit negative this amp is a cheap way to discover the sound of tubes and that aint no bad thing.

Phil

11. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    ^^Incorrect, it's 200watts on a 4 or 8 ohm cab.

The warranty is transferable, my Traynor is currently in the shop as we speak and I expect to get it back at the end of this week. I was having some problems with one of the tube sockets on the power section of mine.

12. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

I have the YBA200 that I purchased from The Arts Music store up in Newmarket. I paid the full $855 retail because I traded in an Ampeg SVTII Pro at the same time and the trade value was fair.

There does not seem to be too much stomach for negotiating on Yorkville gear in Canada. First off it's fairly priced to begin with and the distribution channel up here is pretty narrow. Not a lot of dealers carry it, so there is no incentive to low-ball the units to take a sale away from a competitor. It's like L&M taking money from one pocket and putting in another.

I've seen much better prices from a couple of online retailers out of the U.S. If you shop a bit, you might do better.

As for the unit itself, for my Praise and Worship band I use a Genz Benz GBE600 because it has so many footswitchable tones (Tube / FET / Extend / Contour / Bright etc.) The Traynor I actually have at home and have used it out once for a jazz ensemble wedding gig. It was perfect for that. Clear, distinct, very sweet and present-sounding using my Jazz fretless through to a Peavey 210. I like the tone a lot and plan to do some of the preamp tube swapping that's been suggested on the board.

13. peter G

peter G

Sep 28, 2004
    ohio's northcoast
    I switched from the same GK head to a YBA200 because the GK sounded to sterile to me.I'm happy with the YBA useing the stock tubes for now.

+1
    For me the trade off was worth it,I found the deep rich tone I wanted but lost the vol I really didn't need.

14. I actually talk to Drew on MSN. He's the guy who told me about it and he's also a TB'er (RevGroove). He's the credit manager there. Thanks for all that other info, too. But I have had my heart set on a traynor tube amp (old or new) and this came up at what I think is a good price.

So, is $650 too much for a used YBA?

thanks a WHOLE lot guys

sean

15. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    I think it's too much. I've read from people here on TB who bought it new for that.

16. well, $650 Canadian, as opposed to $885 (CD) new retail. I think that's a good deal...

that's ~$570 and ~$775 US respectively

17. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    That sounds fair for a music store price. You might do better on a private sale, but if you buy it from L & M and don't like it, you can trade it in for something better and not lose much.

18. thanks for the replies guys...

I'm going there tomorrow, so we'll see what's up...and maybe I'll get some pics up too with my Traynor 610 :D

19. Voltaren

Voltaren

Sep 11, 2005
    far far away
    Juniorkimbrough, When I mentioned about wattage to ohmage I was using the information emailed to me by Traynor themselves.

For a start I am no expert on this subject. I told Traynor I was usinging an 8 ohm cab, they said I would only get about 160 watts from the amp doing this,
    fair enough.

20. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Having played through both heads, I'd say they are totally different heads. The YBA200 will really sound like an all tube amp, and will be as loud if not louder than the GK. if you're looking for that growly all tube tone, with a big deep bottom, and an old school sound, you bought the right head.

the resonance control is cool. it adjusts speaker damping for a tight bass tone or a mushy boomy tone, or something in between.