1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Traynor YBA-200 users?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JohnMorgan, Oct 10, 2013.

1. JohnMorgan

JohnMorgan

Oct 7, 2013
    I'm buying a new bass head and like the look of the traynor yba-200. how does it hold up? I want to buy something reliable, versatile, punchy, loud, warm and just ballsy bassicaly.

aaah terible bass puns

but seriously

whats the general word on these?

2. Well I'd say warm, yes, reliable, for me, yes. I didn't find it particularily loud or punchy. Was constantly playing with eq but could never really get it to go where I wanted it to. Ran out of gas pretty quick. If you're into lots of tube dirt it might be your thing, it wasn't mine.

3. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    Early owners had some issues with 6550, if you use KT-88 reliability should be okay, at least that's the response I got from Traynor. If you dial in enough mids, they do sound good. This is an amp that begs to be pushed, but not something I'd consider versatile.

The YBA-300 is a solid step up, and dare I say, it's right up there with the SVT and the Super Bassman. In fact, I'm currently on a short stint away from my SVT.

4. jason the fox

jason the fox Often rocks and rarely rolls. Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I've got a YBA-200 on rental for tonight.

I've heard a few people say that it seems underpowered... but I'm hoping that's only in comparison to the 300 watt monsters.

I'll be running it through an TC810.

5. FooHead

FooHead

Jan 27, 2005
    Western Canada
    I've rented em a few times, and I've wanted to like them...but could just never get them to sound like how I wanted. Now the YBA300 on the other hand, is an amazing amp! If I were after an all tube head...that would be my choice!

6. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    the band skull in new york loves them, but they're pushing them super hard for metal and the bass player is playing chords

7. EddieJackson

EddieJackson

Oct 29, 2008
    Good sound, tube sound, reliable,but not very powerful if you play loud bands.

8. jason the fox

Jul 2, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Yup - gig went well last night with my rented YBA-200 and TC810, and I agree it's a great amp and REALLY great cab. But the amp was really starting to break up/distort earlier than I expected. The volume was there, but I feel like the tone was coming through a little too grindy for how loud I was. It was an outdoor gig, and we were pushing it.

The cabinet, on the other hand, is a monster and I assume it could be pushed way harder and still ask for more.

Overall great sounding tube amp though!

9. They need lower gain preamp tubes or they distort to early. Change from 12ax7 to 12ay or 12at and they will have more volume before distortion

10. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I had 2 YBA-200's really wanted to like them. Best sound I got was running a preamp into the effects return and bypssing the front end. Tried a few and the Sans Amp ParaDriver won out. Still didn't have the guts though...

11. MrPierre

MrPierre

Oct 22, 2012
    I bought a YBA 200-2 16 months ago.

It sound great, it is lightweight (for a tube amp) and can get pretty loud (but not "stadium-loud")

But, it is totally unreliable. Of the 16 months I have owned it, 3 of them were spent in the repair shop and it was sent back 2 time to the Traynor facility we're they didn't find any problem (it is still randomly problematic, nothing has been repaired). It burn trough the KT-88 at an alarming rate and according to Traynor that is normal (I change a pair every 6 months (I gig 1 or 2 times a month, practice 1 or 2 time each week, at reasonable volume))

12. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    + 1

This, plus try replacing the power tubes with some late distortion 6550's or KT88's as well. I put a 12AT7 in the preamp and some late distortion Tung Sol 6550s and I've noticed I have more clean headroom. Also, pair one of these up with a REAL cabinet....a 2x15, 4x12, or 8x10 will really let this amp shine. Not for the faint of heart, it has some really ballsy tone. I absolutely love mine :bassist:

13. Psychobassguy

Psychobassguy Banned

Oct 14, 2013
    Sneedville
    What are "late distortion" tubes?

14. Meyatch

Meyatch Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Here's my repainted YBA-200

amp.

I've never had a single problem with it. It gets plenty loud for my needs. I bought it used and don't have stock tubes in it though.

15. Plucky The Bassist

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    They also go by "hard", "medium", and "soft" on their ratings. Basically a late distortion tube can have more power go into it without breaking up and distorting as easily as an early or soft rated tube. No affiliation or kickback for this plug, but look at Doug's page for these JJ 6550's

http://www.dougstubes.com/power-tubes/6550-kt88/jj-kt88.html

Under the rating you can select which one you want to put in the head. A guitarist using 6550's would likely want early so that it breaks up nice and easily, whereas a bass player is probably looking for more headroom than a guitarist would, naturally the bassist would select average or late. That's about all I know, but I can attest that the mods I did to my Traynor helped a good bit.

16. Psychobassguy

Psychobassguy Banned

Oct 14, 2013
    Sneedville
    Tube "ratings" are a load of garbage. They're just a gimmick to justify not having a qualified tech service an amp. Install a set of tubes and bias them for maximum clean output. If they don't make rated power, they're not to spec. Power transistors don't have power ratings, and neither did power tubes until tube sellers decided that they could use production variations in tubes to sell new tubes to people who needed their amplifier's tubes adjusted, not replaced.

17. zillo

zillo

Jun 5, 2003
    I've had mine for about 18 months...no problems and lots of nice thick pants flapping bass tones. I usually run the gain about 6-7 and it just purrs.

18. 3armdave

3armdave

Sep 29, 2012
    +1
    I've had the 200 and now own the 300.
    The 200 suffered from all the criticisms listed here but did sound good.
    The 300 on the other hand is destined to be a bass amp legend on par with any other monster all tube amp, and it is amazing in so many more ways. The di is excellent, eq and preamp grind superb, and tube mix n match capability with user bias to customize your tone even more...
    Get a yba300 and don't look back.

19. jason the fox

Jul 2, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I've even heard people refer to the YBA-300 as the SVT slayer. Maybe that's a bit of a stretch, but it still shows how highly regarded they are.

Either way, I'm sure it's every bit as capable.

20. Plucky The Bassist

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    While my sample group is small, changing the GT Gold 6550 mediums out for the Tung Sols did make an audible difference as to when things started to break up on my amp. Might not be the case for EVERY amp or tube, but that's what happened with mine. I'm no amp tech so all I can say is I got these results with this change and YMMV :meh: