1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Traynor YBA200-2

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dustinfennessey, Dec 8, 2011.

1. dustinfennessey

dustinfennessey

Sep 29, 2011
    WI
    Anyone have experience with the YBA200-2? I'm currently using an Ashdown Little Bastard 30w that I love, but am looking for a good/light/cost effective tube amp with more volume. Any advice would rule :)

Thanks,
    Dustin

2. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    The YBA-200 is a solid amp. I prefer its tone to the similarly priced Peavey VB-2. It's softer volume-wise though and people feel it dirties up too early. As a result, many people opt to put in lower-gain preamp tubes, but they sound great to my ears and they love getting pushed hard.

3. dustinfennessey

dustinfennessey

Sep 29, 2011
    WI
    By dirty up do you mean start the natural tube distortion? I'm not a fan of clean tone so like it as dirty sounding as it can get so it might be right up my alley :)

4. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    It sounds great when getting pushed. It should be great for you. I tend to have my gain at around 6~7 and my mids around 8~9.

5. dustinfennessey

dustinfennessey

Sep 29, 2011
    WI
    you running 410s?

6. Muckaluck

Muckaluck

Oct 11, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    Its natural sound is rather grindy, so if you're a fan of the grind you will be happy. I never had trouble regarding volume with mine and I played it very clean.

7. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    +1

The 6550s in the power section make a difference on the YBA200-2. A little more pricey, but the difference in tone is pretty apparent to me.

8. I have it and love it. It does have a grindy character to it, but that's why you buy tube amps, right?
    It has a really nice tone that helps you cut through. an 810 or 412 is advisable if you want to compete with Marshall half stacks and a lous drummer.

9. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I have to agree with anyone that lives in the same town as I do (Whitby, Ont). :p

Having agreed about the sound, I really didn't like the available headroom on the YBA-200-II I owned. I did a gig with a Sadowsky SA410 cab and the amp was almost cranked. I bought the head used, but had a similiar issue with another YBA that our band used as part of a backline.

It seems to be tough to get a real clean sound out of this amp at very high volumes. The gain really affects the volume IME (more than most other amps I have owned).

Note: I tend to play hard and the gigs I used the Traynor for were funk gigs with lots of slapping, so I kept the gain down to avoid clipping.

P.S. The new 300W Traynor sounds beastly!

10. You guys are simply out of town! :D

Hey the more GTA guys here the better! I'm in Scarborough. :)

11. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Sorry, I don't talk to people in Scarborough. ;-) Kidding, I actually grew up there. I play gigs near the Pickering/Scarberia border every once in a while (The Harp and Crown).

Small world.... might be time for a Toronto East GTG one of these days!

P.S. sorry about the thread derail!

12. Done a few there too but it used to be so much better in days past.

It would be good to have a GTA GTG I must admit!

P.S. Me too but sometimes threads do morph. :D

13. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Yarp!

14. its a great amp. Yes it'll do grindy well, & really will go pretty bl**dy loud -especially into a decent cab.
    But, if U need more power- then the YBA300 is cool too- so I've heard.
    The YBA200/-2 works really well for a pretty darn light all tube amp.
    I didn't need the 12AU7 -lower gain- mod either, tho I tried it. I found it had plenty of volume & Snarl & bass etc...