Traynor YBA200 - Clean?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ModestCargo, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Hey all. I'm new here, this is my second post...

Well, I was into Edmonton a while ago and played through one of these through my favorite (of what I have tried) cab, which is a Fender Pro 1x15". I really dug the sound of this amp, but didn't get a chance to play it very loud.

I don't like distortion on a bass. I'm wondering if this amp is loud and clean? Or should I be looking elsewhere? I also dug a Fender Professional 400 head (I think that's what it was) which is 350 watts, solid state (or maybe it's hybrid).

And before you ask me why I want a 15" (everyone does), don't bother. I just like the sound, the clarity.

Thanks for the help !
  2. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Mine is reasonably clean sounding, but something SS would be better for squeaky-clean. I use a 410 with it, which is much tighter sounding than my 212/210 setup. I also installed casters under the 410 to get it up off of the floor, which tightened up the sound a little more. The YBA churns out massive lows, and I suspect that with a pair of 215 cabs you could move some air.

I would'nt call the YBA a "loud" amp, but it's strong enough for what I do. It's well built and a good bang for your toob buck.
  3. hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    had a yba200! it is a nice head ,but trust me!! if you are looking for clean sound get somethig else! they are known for dirty sound . like i said it is a nice head just not my cup of tea!! :eyebrow:
  4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    With the stock tubes, they are not very clean at all. Its not quite distortion, but it can get very overdriven. With new tubes, you get a bit more clean headroom, but even so its probabally not the best sounding amp if you want something clean. If you want really clean, get a GK in that price range. If you want a kind of clean, get the Kustom Groovebass. If you want something thats pretty clean with a great tone, I'd look at a Yorkville 800.
  5. jamesblue

jamesblue Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2005
    Central Maryland
    With new tubes for a clearer tone, would the YBA200 on par with the xs800h volume wise.

I have a xs800h, it's good, but the pre-amp is just not for me, even with a JJ or Sovtek LPS in it. I'm pushing a Aggie 4x12 1200watt cab.
  6. Okay, thanks guys, I'm thinking that going all Fender (solid state) would probably be the best idea for me, since I love their Professional series bass stuff so much.
  7. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    If you are going for pro series Fender I would look at the 300 Pro tube amp.

This is an awesome amp and you can keep it clean on the clean channel and then just hit the channel 2 button and go all out distortion.
  8. I can't stand distorted/overdriven/fuzz bass guitar.