Traynor YBA200 Distortion

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by freshmeat1989, Sep 14, 2004.

1. I am probably getting this amp in a month or so, but I have some questions.

1. How soon does this amp distort?
    2. How can you make tube amps distort sooner? How can you make them distort later?
    3. I am looking for warm, and fat, will this amp give me that?

Thanks for your time.
  2. It depends on your bass, playing style and cabinets; there's no one variable that will predict when distortion will occur.

Overload the input. You can do it with a high output bass, a pedal or a high(er) gain circuit.

Maximize their clean power: there is no one way to do this. You can decrease the gain of the preamp, increase the headroom of the power stage, get a more efficient cab or any combination of the above.

It depends on your definition of warm and fat and what kinds of cabs and basses you'll be putting through it, although in general, Traynors are voiced brighter in the upper midrange than most other bass amps.
  3. I fiound that the YBA200 does not have quite as bright a tone as the older Traynor models, and with the scoop and range controls you can get a really nice "fat" tone. As for distortion I have found that with my passive Ric 4001 once the gain is above 6 you begin to hear sme dirt from the pre amp and the same is true with my active p-bass (emg@9 volts) when its connected to the -6db input. If want to have some fun plug an active bass in the passive input, i dont think anyone would ever need more distorion than that.