Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Traynor YBA200 eq tips

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tmu, Mar 9, 2005.

1. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    Anyone have any tips about how to eq this amp, i.e. how the controls work together, any good rock settings etc. I was also wondering if the eq was cut only, since it is passive? If so, is flat settings at 10 for all three frequencies?

Thanks for the help.

2. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    any ideas?

3. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    ?

4. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    Just be patient, theres lot of guys here use that amp, just gotta wait for one to see this thread...

5. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Have you taken a look at the massive YBA200 Tweaks & Observations thread? Brent Norton started it and it's full of good info from guys more knowledgeable than myself. I had one and couldn't get my tone from it but that's not to say it sounded bad because it didn't. I could never get enough midrange out of the amp was my issue, but it had plenty of lows and highs and these were easy enough to dial in or out. The treble control seemed to be the most powerful, then bass and last midrange. The other stuff, like Resonance, Scoop... forget that crap. It won't do you a damn bit of good if you're anything like me. Set it to zero and just use gain, master and the EQ's. Keep the mids cranked up, the treble low and the bass in the mid to high range, that was the best I could do with her for rock. Also consider changing out some of the tubes in it, specifically the preamp tubes with lower gain 12AT7's or something of even lower gain. this will offer you more clean headroom, more mids in the signal as you can turn the gain up higher and in general is a useful idea. Now where's someone smarter than me to explain everything I just said?

6. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    Yes, I read that thread. However, it seems to focus more on the tube aspect, rather than the eqing aspect. I will try some 12AT7s, but anyone else have some tips for getting a good sound out of this amp?

7. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    To get a flat sound, do you leave your EQ at 10 for all three?

8. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Nope, 10s boosted all the way. I always used 5 as flat, but it could be that 10 on the mids is flat there and 5 on treble and bass is flat... try this: put everything on the amp at zero. Then turn the gain to 5, the treble to 3, the mids to 10, the bass to 6 or 7 and the master volume to 4 or 5 or whatever you're comfortable with. See if that helps at all, that's how I used to run it but I had a pair of 12AT7 Mullards in the preamp section so you might want less gain but start with this and work from there. It should give you a decent sound at least even if it's nothing special. I always found the head had way too much treble and not enough midrange partly due to a lack of clean headroom from the preamp section.

9. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I played on one the other day and was curious about this myself. I turned all of the EQ knobs down and it didn't make any sound. Turned them all to 5 and it started working again.

It would be nice if they'd just release a version without the scoop/resonance/etc and devoted the extra space to another couple power amp tubes.

10. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Yeah if you turn all the EQ knobs to zero it's basically like muting, no sound comes out. It's a good amp though with respectable output if you can get different preamp tubes to lower the gain thereby allowing you to increase your gain setting. It just doesn't stay clean long enough and doesn't produce enough mids for a midrange freak like me. Hence my love for GK and such.