Traynor YBA200 or Ampeg V4BH

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Roland, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Roland

Feb 7, 2005
    Hi @ll

I need a new bass amp. I've used a HARTKE 3500 with tube preamp and now I want to buy a full tube amp (?)

The V4B is great, but it has only 100W. Is the Trainor YBA 200 better.

cu from Gernany
  2. I tried the Traynor through its accompanying cab (2x10+1x15) and it sounded pretty good, but I wasn't all that impressed. I think the V-4 is an amazing amp to go to for pure tube sound. The Traynor didn't give me the sound I was looking for.
  3. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I played the same traynor rig this past weekend at a local bass shop and I was VERY impressed with the sound. Which surprised me since I asked to play through something else and he invited me to try it anyway. In other words, I started with a closed mind and walked away being very impressed. Go figure. My Rig of Reference is my Bergantino HT322 and Ashdown ABM500 EVO. So I'm no stranger to great tone with a tube in my signal chain.
  4. Do a search on the YBA200, it has been discussed alot on this will find lots of info on this head here.
  5. dross

May 4, 2005
    i am going through the same delema... both are the same price, but i woudl like to run a guitar through it as well and am leaning towards the V-4B for the samller tubes... i really dont know :(
  6. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I'd go with the Traynor mostly due to power. It doesnt have the EXACT SVT tone... but it does come close. And it has double the power, so you wouldnt be left hanging at a large gig. However, if you dont anticipate any big shows at all in the future, then the V4B would be an ok choice.

And for guitar... definately the V4B. 200Watts is way to much for guitar usually. Personally, I even think the 150 that the Mesa Triple Rectifier offers is too much. The V4B is at 100Watts, which is an excellent power level for guitar amps.
  7. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    The V4B is a nice sounding amp, but in my opinion its just not enough juice. I've used one in a studio and would never take it live (I don't play with PA though...). The YBA 200 is a great amp which gets good tone. It can sound like a SVT, especially if you change out the origional tubes. DO NOT USE THE TRAYNOR CABS. I hate those cabs. No offense to people who like em of course. I played the YBA 200 through both an Eden 410 and a Bergie 610 and was very impressed with both.
  8. In my experience, having recently bought the V-4 myself, it can just about compete with 2 100 watt Marshall rigs, if you have a high-output bass. My active Fender was overdriven and distorted just so I could hear myself. However, it was a little birthday gig with no PA. Great sounding amp if you can PA.
  9. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I thought the V4BH new from Ampeg costs alot more than the Traynor.... :confused: