Traynor YBA200 paired with what cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by broughton.22, Dec 28, 2007.

1. broughton.22

broughton.22 Guest

Dec 28, 2007
    Columbus, OH, US
    I'm highly interested in the Traynor YBA200, and have done some good research on it. It appears that a lot of owners mention that it takes the right cab to make it sound good. I realize the wattage rating is lower than the other tube amps, so I'm not sure what this thing can push. Is it good to match it with a big rig, like an SVT+810? I like the idea of using a 6x10, 8x8, or a 410+115. What have you found to work well with it?

2. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    The YBA200 is an all-tube amp head, with all of the pros and cons implied therein. It doesn't need as much power to get loud because of the compression which comes from driving the tubes hard but it does seem to sound better to most listeners' ears when you run it with a sealed cabinet.

I run mine with a Bergantino NV610 for most stuff or an Acme B2 for lower volume things. I think it sounds pretty incredible paired with the NV610, which is a sealed 6x10. It sounds pretty good with the Acme as long as nothing's compressed.

3. I love it paired with my Ampeg 4x10HLF. The head pushed the cab very well, and I get all the volume I could require out of it. But I think after I finish paying off all the pedals for my pedalboard, I'm going to swap out the 4x10HLF for a 4x10HE and a 1x15E.

4. broughton.22

broughton.22 Guest

Dec 28, 2007
    Columbus, OH, US
    I'm a fan of the sealed cab idea, too. The NV610 seems like a big deal around here; I'll have to try it out. Does it seem like the head powers it just fine? What are some characteristics of having too many speakers (too much handling power) for a tube head to handle? What about too few speakers (too little handling power)?

The SVT 410 and 115 seem cool, too. The 410HE is sealed, and they are lower wattage ratings. I doubt they even compare to the NV610, though.

5. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Two Bill fitzmaurice OT15's (www.billfitzmaurice.com) Louder than you'll ever need - and clearer than anything else.

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Some cabs which I have found to work well with the YBA200 include the Berg NV610 and NV215, Sadowsky SA410 (really a Berg), Phil Jones Bass 9B/6T (surprised me, but man, it's a great combo!), Ernie Ball Music Man HD210, and most recently, the Berg HS410, which is just a great, great matchup, IME/IMHO.

Tom.

7. What combinations have you tried that didn't work so good?

8. Actually, yeah, I have. The first time I played through the Traynor was through a Yorkville 8x8, and I did so again with the Traynor (as far as my ears are concerned, its the same cab with a new face).

The sound was good. If you like the character of 8 inch speakers, you'll dig it. The sound was tight, and it was a pretty loud setup. Lacked low end to my ears though.

9. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Acct Serv. Man.: Long & McQuade; MTD Kingston Basses Intl Emerging Artist; Bartolini Emerging Artist
    Has anyone had a chance to try it with the new Traynor TC810 cabinet as yet?

10. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Acct Serv. Man.: Long & McQuade; MTD Kingston Basses Intl Emerging Artist; Bartolini Emerging Artist
    Pretty much...looks a bit nicer, I think...added some extra handles too.

11. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond

Aug 17, 2007
    I use mine with the SVT 410 HLF. Gets plenty loud for my tastes; more than enough to play with keys and a small 2x12 guitar amp. Plenty of low end, and that ampeg growl. I'd love to try it with the Berg, though; do they make a 4x10 version? 6x10 would just be too much for me.

12. peter G

peter G

Sep 28, 2004
    ohio's northcoast
    I like my Ampeg 15" with the YBA200. the GS112 didn't work for me.

13. The yorkville 808 is a very awesome sounding cab, I'd recommend it for this head. Don't bother with the Traynor 210+115 cab, it is voiced very poorly.

14. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    It did not work well, IMHO, with any of my Epifani cabs, nor with my HT series Bergs.

15. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Try the TC1510 with a solid state head like the XS400/DB400 before you write it off completely!
    ;)

16. I tried mine through a 70's SVT 810 and it sounded terrible. Through my SWR Goliath JR and Son of Bertha it's great.

17. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I only tried mine through two different cabs.....an Ampeg 6x10 (which I loved the way it sounded) and through an Eden 410T (I didn't care for the sound through this cab.

18. RBasss

RBasss

Dec 13, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    East Coast Sales Coordinator - Crafter Guitars
    Mine sounds great through my Ampeg 810E.

19. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Has anyone tried it with a pair of Bag End S15-D's?

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021