1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Traynor YBA200 To good to be ture ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassgruvn, Mar 16, 2006.

1. throw_this_away

throw_this_away

Mar 30, 2006
    Yeah... this amp pretty much rocks. My rics/jazz/longhorn all sound great. I find the key to good tone is learning how to not use scoop, and properly dial in the resonance and range knobs.

Unlike a earlier poster... I found that the harder you push the main volume, the better the amp sounds. Bedroom volumes do not do it justice... tube amps were ment to be played loud... and this head ALWAYS give me a huge smile when I play it live. But then I do like grit in my tone (I play rock). I find this amp will give you ar more buttery tube tone, but you need to play with the resonance and range. Lots of variety in tone for a tube amp.

2. takeout

takeout Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Kansas City area
    Yep. I find Scoop to be pretty much useless. The Resonance control is what I mainly use to adjust between different basses.

Anyone else notice how bright this amp is though? I have the Treble knob rolled all the way off, through two 15"s, and I still get tons of cut.

3. Yep, I've found no use for the scoop and leave it off permanently. The range and resonance are interesting though. I like how subtle the resonance control is through my speakers (ABM410). I usually adjust the resonance last to tighten everything up.

Throw_this_away: I know what you mean now. It really opens up when it's cranked. I had the sound guy tell me to turn up a little later in the night cause it sounded so sweet. Very cool to hear. Once again, thanks so much for recommending me the YBA!!!

4. MikeyB

MikeyB

Aug 16, 2006
    Sykesville, MD
    What about cab pairings to get that great tube drive/growl at, say, moderate levels instead of having to really crank it? I'd like to get the great tone without overpowering my weekly church gig. (which is rockin, but not ear-splitting).

Any thoughts on the Schroeders with this amp? If so, 410? 1012? I had read about some folks having probs getting enough mids from the YBA so that led me to the Schroeders. But they're supposedly very loud, and perhaps I actually need a -less- efficient cab to get the growl at moderate volume.

Thoughts on the Schros?
    Thoughts on 10's vs 12's for this amp? (one pref for 12's noted)

Thanks!

-M

5. bassboysam

bassboysam Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Ottawa, Ontario
    An important thing to remember is that "Flat" on this amp is with the Bass, Mid, and Treble turned all the way up...I can't remember if the range needs to be at 0 or 10 though. The Eq is all passive so each is cut only. Also a tech from traynor told me that the as you turn the gain up it is supposed to introduce more low mids into the sound (along with the distortion). Once I tried maxing all the control and cutting where needed I got a much more full and deeper sound.

6. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I've actually recently thought of doing that very thing, I'm going to try it this week with one of the XS amp pre section line out to the power amp section on a YBA200...I'll report back with my findings...

:D

7. throw_this_away

throw_this_away

Mar 30, 2006
    The range on 10 is "full"... and I am not as big of a fan of that tone... a little mid thin. AS you cut the range (to my ears) the upper mids fill out and then the low mids as you turn down past 12 o clock. With the range at zero you are hearign mostly lows and low mids. The the range is in effect cutting the the range of frequencies produced... except tht it is not that linear. I like mine around 10 oclock for solid mid growl without losing the high end.

For getting the iideal tone... I find it really shines once the main volume (power amp) is at 10 o clock or more (I have never had to push it much past 12 in a live situation. To play in my bedroom with my gain at 12 (that is where I like it with my passive basses... just giving mild overdrive when I play hard) I need to keep the master at the lowest setting possible... I hardly turn it on. Not ideal for the tone of any amp.

8. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    ShoMeMusic.com; Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Darkglass, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Quilter, Blackstar, Cort, Traynor, and other
    Not to hijack the thread, but have you ever tried the YBA200 with a pair of the Yorkie XS115 (I think that's the model)? I had 4 of them that sounded really good - I would think they would shine with that amp.

9. bassboysam

bassboysam Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Ottawa, Ontario

I agree...much better sounding than the XC410.