Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Traynor YBA200 vs. Yorkville XS800H

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MysteryBox, Jul 31, 2005.

1. MysteryBox

MysteryBox

Feb 28, 2005
    I've been busy looking into buying a new head. Recently Both these heads have caught my attention.

Both offer a very sweet sounds and are full of features i like.

But in the long run which will be better for playing live and jamming with the band and which ultimately has more tonal flexablility?

2. Do a search. I've never played either one but was interested in the XS800H and I think I remember reading that it sounded better with 1015 cab and was louder than the YBA200.

3. Trevor.A

Trevor.A

Jan 2, 2005
    Lubbock, TX
    for versitility, i would say go with the XS800 only because the YBA200 is all tube, but i havent played either. its probably a little louder too.

i just ordered the YBA200, should be here in a couple days :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

4. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I have the XS400 & an extremely happy. I bought it before they introduced either the 800 or the YBA200.
    I love the hybrid nature of the Yorkies & the 800 has some cool features, but it's just too much amp for me. I haven't gotten the 400 past '3' yet...
    In retrospect, I would have considered the Traynor had it been available then. I played one about a month ago & was blown away.

I've said it before & I'll say it again:
    Yorkville/Traynor is the best kept secret in bass amplification. the BEST bang for your buck IMHO.

HemiBob likes this.
  5. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    I've the yba200, its VERY loud and crunches in a very nice way. But if you want a big sound that stays very clean, get the 800, its capable of some killer lows. I tried both before settling on the yba200, but it was a pretty tough choice. I think the only thing that tipped the scale was I wanted a change from solid state since thats all I'd used so far.

6. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    The 800 will have more tonal flexibility and a lot more clean headroom if you need it. Lighter too. It's a very good amp.

7. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

You may also want to check out the Kustom Groove Bass 1200 which is also in this price range... 31 Lbs, 1200 watts, goes down to 2 ohms, Stainless front and all steel chasis. Can go from Hi-fi sound to Ampeg type tube sound. Killer head! These can be had for about $500 shipped. Oh, the Kustom is also a 2U racked unit vs a 3U like the Yorkie. Give you more space in the rack for effects, tuner, etc...

Check the reviews--> Reviews Link

8. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Oh yeh!

Okay, XS800H vs. YBA200.

Played both extensively, natch...the YBA200 sounded good, though not so good with the YBX1510 cabinet (which sounds great with the XS400H) ), sounds really good with a 2x10 cab or the XC808 cab, but just didn't have enough clean headroom for my needs...the XS800H also has more features for the same price.

Now if you're going for that all tube sound, then the YBA200 is the one for you...just match it with at least a 6x10, or an 8x8 or an 8x10 I'd recommend. The 1510 just doesn't give it enough oomph to really show what the head is capable of, IMHO.

But if you want clean headroom, max ability to create and adjust tone (that's long story short, do a search and you'll find multiple threads about the vast benefits of the XS800H,) then you want the XS800H. It was better enough for me to make it the core of my rig (known affectionatly by my bandmates as The Mother Ship)!

blackandwhite likes this.
  9. which would sound better in a metal band against atleast 1 marshall half stack (100watt tube) and a loud drummer.

im leaning XS800h but tubes are oso hard to resist.

10. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    IME, A/Bing the two, I would have to say the XS800H would win out volume wise. Tried both with the XC808, and the XS800H not only was louder, but sounded better. Just my opinion...the YBA200 is a fine head in the right circumstances, but if you're looking for volume...

..then again, I haven't tried the tube mods that others have on the YBA200, it's possible you could get better results with different tubes (power and or pre) as others have. If you do a search, there's quite a few threads on YBA200 modifications.

Still, I'm EXTREMELY happy with my XS800H, especially after I switched the preamp tube from a 12AX7 to an ECC83S. The stock tube was great...the new tube even better, which I hadn't thought possible!

11. Quadzilla

Well I almost bought the XS800 but a couple things steered me to the Kustom:

2U vs 3U (Yes I know that I said that already)

The Kustom makes twice as much power as the Yorkie @ 2 ohms (1200 vs 600). Not sure why the Yorkie actually goes down in power at 2 ohms as most amps actually go up in power.

That being said, I'm sure that the Yorkie is a fine amp as is the Traynor. I need all the power I can get trying to keep up with two loud guitarists with tube rigs and a slamming drummer with a Roland electronic kit pumping thru the monitors and PA.

12. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    If you want something versitle and modern sounding, go with the 800, but if you want something very vintage and tubey sounding, the 200 is for you. With the right tubes though, my experience is that the 200 can get about as loud as the 800, but it might get overdriven a bit in the process. If you like distortion and overdrive, the 200 will get a lot at high volumes. Paired with a good cab though, both the 800 and the 200 are plenty of volume.

13. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    I won't address the rack space issue...that's a nice feature, obviously, the ability to have more space for other things is a big plus...I chose to address it that the extra features on the XS800 more than made up for the loss of one rackspace (compressor and overdrive specifically).

The power goes to 600 watts at 8 and 2 ohms as a safety feature...most of the amps I've used, while they can potentially go down to 2 ohms, their "optimal" lowest impedance is 4 ohms. I personally don't know too many players that run their amps down to 2 ohms.

What you failed to point out is that the Kustom unit only puts out 500W at 8ohms (as listed on the site, the manual actually states 450W at 8 ohms, and 750 at 4 ohms...I wonder what it really puts out at 2 ohms, that's the only spec that's consistent between site and manual!) which the human ear won't likely hear the difference, but if we're talking specs, hey!

Some more specs: at 25lbs, the XS800H is 6 pounds lighter than the GB head, despite the extra rack space...the burst power the XS800H is capable of is 1000W (and do remember, Traynor/YSL has always always been extremely conservative in their power ratings)..the XS800H has both Speakon and 1/4" outputs, where the Kustom amp only has Speakon outputs...

...plus, I play with a guy using a Marshall head, and another guy miking a YCV40 amp (yeh, a Traynor amp!), and the XS800H absolutely rules them both. Rules in my band at church too when both guitarists use high power (100 and 150W) amps, whether I run at 8 ohms with a custom 2x12 or 4 ohms with the XC808...

..I'm sure the Kustom is a great amp, glad it meets your needs...wish you'd given the XS800H a chance as well though, it's louder than the specs would indicate, IME/IMO.

blackandwhite likes this.
  14. Quadzilla

Good points and they are well taken (no issues man :) . I wish that I could have found a Yorkie at the time to A/B. I did A/B the Kustom to a GK 1001RBII and it was no contest, the Kustom won hands down. Good to have all of these choices these days. It wasn't this way when I got started 20+ years ago...

15. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    It's all good man...choices are great! Hope you get a chance to try one out sometime! :D

16. Quadzilla

And I hope that you get a chance to try out a Groove Bass sometime too! ;) :p

17. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    LOL, I'll be sure to look out for one!

18. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Amen to that brother!! :hyper:

19. MysteryBox

MysteryBox

Feb 28, 2005
    Hey is this a good idea

A Traynor YBA200 into a Peavey BW 2x15

20. Hi everyone,

Does anyone know the difference between the:

XS800H - 800-watt Tube/Solid State Preamp

and the

DynaBass 800H – 800-watt Tube/SS Preamp?

Is one in a case and the other is meant to be put into a rack case? How about the D.I. output, does anyone have any expeience with it? Is it of high (SWR SM900) quality?

Thanks,

Benner