Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Traynor YBA200

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Geoff St. Germaine, Jun 29, 2004.

1. I had a chance to try out this amp the other day. I am pretty impressed, especially given the price. I haven't really spent too much time with a tube amp and I am kinda/sorta looking to pick one up for some of the rock stuff we do where I'd like to get that borderline distortion sound that comes out of the tube amps.

What I'm looking to find out is if anyone has compared this head to some of the more expensive tube amps around (SVT, 400+) and what the difference is between them. I am mostly looking for input on tone, not so much on power as I know what I'm getting with the 200W from the Traynor.

Geoff

2. I haven't tried the YBA200, but I have tried the Ampeg SVT-CL. I tried it through a Ampeg 810 cab. The tone was there. Perfect for rock, warm, fat, and a little bit dark. It was sweet. I just can't afford something like that and was looking at the Traynor, which I am going to buy for my next amp, which I won't be able to try. I am looking for deep, warm, and fat. Is that how you would describe the YBA200? What cab and bass did you try it with?

3. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Hey, Geoff!

I've tried a few Traynors although I'm not sure of the model number.

IMO the SVT sounds a bit tighter and less farty, so I would prefer the SVT myself...

4. I played the bass with a Fender Aerodyne Jazz and the 1510 Traynor cab. If I buy it I'll be taking my own bass in. The action on the Fender was too high for me to play properly.

The cab seemed alright, though it really isn't my cup of tea to have a 15. I'd rather have a bunch of 10s.

Geoff

5. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    The XC808 should be out within a few weeks. That and the YBA200 sounds like an SVT classic Head with an 8x10, less weight, less cost, and a killer sound!

6. If you want that "borderline distortion" sound, a vintage svt with 12DW7 (7247) pretubes would be the way to go as it gets its "grit" from the preamp stage. But it may be easier to drive the 6550 power tubes in a 200W RMS tube amp than a 300W vintage svt.

7. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    I have the traynor combo; IMO, very fat sounding. Probably a bit brighter than SVT, but I love it! The bottom end can get huge! Get three of these instead of an SVT!

8. man do I have GAS for one of those heads...so much so that i parted out my entire current rig on eBay so that I could get enough money to buy one of those, an avatar b210 and sb115

I'm excited to get one!!!

any body have any soundclips???

9. I've ordered a YBA-200. Should be at my place next week. I'll post a review after my next weekend gigs. Will play it with one of my schroeder cabs
    :bassist:

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

sweet! I'll be watching for that one!!! I think it'll be a killer little rig on a 1210

11. Speddling;

You'll be the first to know :D

12. I AB-ed a YBA-200 and the cab it comes with with an SVT-CL/810 a few weeks ago. I found that it was extremely mid scooped, and the top end was harsh sounding compared to the SVT. I plugged it into the 810 and it was a totally different story. It still had less midrange than the SVT, but the low end was big and buttery. The top end was considerably smoother. The mids were smooth. The Yorkville was nowhere near as agressive sounding as the SVT. Nice, mellow and smooth sounding was the impression I got.

I thought the matching cabinet was awful, but that's just me.