Traynor YBA200?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joe Martin, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Joe Martin

Joe Martin

Mar 23, 2005
    Frederick, MD
    Okay, I need some opinions on what to do here. I have recently been re-relegated back to my old Hartke 3500 (I am playing thru an Avatar 212 with a 112 on top), and don't get me wrong, it's cool for now, but it doesn't exactly have the sound I am looking for. I have played my share of tubes amps, the 400+ (and 400), Bassman 300, old Sunns, old Ampegs, etc, and dig the tone from all of them.

My question for you all is this: Does the traynor live up to the good ole' tube standard? There's always talk about how tube watts are "more powerful" (I know they aren't, they just sound like they are) than solid state ones. Does this hold true for the Traynor? I have heard discussion about how this is relatively quiet for a tube amp, but I also read Brent's extremely extensive thread on them and how he got more headroom by swapping out the pre-tubes. I'm hoping this would be louder than my 3500?

Do you all think I would be better off with my 3500? I have initially been saving up to get a 6 string (Ibanez SR506), most people don't favor them all that much, but I enjoy having two extra strings to work with. I can live with 4 just fine, but I would like to have a 6 aswell.

What do you all think I should do? Any help is much appreciated.
  2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    How much will the Traynor cost? I've played one just a few days ago, but not extensively and I didn't push it much. It sounded good enough, similar to an old SVT but just not as much. However, they are very light. I think the volume matters more on what cabs you are using though. Someone offered me one for $450, and unless you have a better offer I can hook you up with the guy. Hes a TBer, by the way.
  3. haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    If Joes not going to take it I would work a deal... sorry, not trying to jump in but I'm in the market for one...
  4. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I like the Traynor a lot, even with stock tubes. My advice would be to jump on that $450 before hauj or I do. :)