Traynor YBA300 vs Ampeg SVT-CL

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gord, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    Hello!
    Looking to get into the world of tube amps. I was just wondering which of these amps, both of which are available at my local Long and McQuade, is a nicer amp?

Either one would be going into an NV610. I'm looking for something to rattle the house, while still cutting through, and bringing a bit of overdrive. I have a few pedals that could help with that in the case of the YBA300, which I heard is quite clean.

Another thing to consider - the YBA300 is half the weight, and $800 cheaper. But, those issues don't seem as important if the SVT is that much more amazing.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  2. Any popularity poll Ampeg vs whatever non Amercan is overwhelming skewed to Ampeg by the American influence on TB. Buy what you like.

3. azfatboy

azfatboy

May 11, 2016
    "skewed by American influence"?????

Couldn't be that the SVT is better, and "better" or not, is the de facto bass rig against which everything else is compared? No, you're right--it must just be those crazy 'mericans........ :rolleyes:......

4. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I love my Traynor YBA-300. I am sure I would love the Ampeg if I had it. Sorry, I guess I am not much help.

cataract likes this.
  5. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    I wonder if the Yba-300 is similar to the Yankees-200?

If so, the yba-200 is a very mid scooped fender tone stack sound. I had to dine the mids just to get a usual amount of cut. The SVT on the other hand has the magic mid frequency control knob.

smeet and Maxfenderbass like this.
  6. Had both. Both great, just different animals. I found I could get the YBA300 dirty with the right cab etc... If I was going for one of em now, with me being 54.... I'd probly go the YBA300 as it does sound great and is light.
    An SVT is an SVT. GREAT amp and popular for a reason.
    Iirc, the YBA300 has active EQ like the SVT. I only sold mine coz the Fender Super Bassman I bought has 2 channels and a superb overdrive.
    Come to think of it, why ain't THAT amp on your list? It's all an SVT is WITH a passive eq channel as well, which is all lush, gooey tubey goodness, AND 20lbs lighter than the SVT

7. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Chicago Illinois
    I’ve never tried the Traynor but I’ve played through an SVT / 810 rig and it is godly.

If you have the option to try or buy a Fender Super Bassman, I would recommend that amp over both of your immediate choices. Like @rodl2005 said, more features and lighter than the SVT. Factoring in the weight, features, 2 channels, and a killer OD, I too opted for the SB over the SVT.

YMMV

8. Traynor is half the weight, almost half the price, cost less to retube, has more feature/technology, sounds great and is extremely powerful.

Ampeg is written ampeg on it.

You are Canadian, buy a Traynor

Loring, squarepeg, Marko 1 and 19 others like this.
  9. Hydron

Hydron

May 11, 2013
    Quebec, Canada
    I have a yba 200-2. And I Will probably sell it and buy the yba300. We recently added an other guitarist and I have to fight with 3 guitars now , extra headroom is always good. The value of that amp is great.

You can buy some decent drive pedal and still have money in your pocket.

Try to test the amps locally if possible.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Just stop it. It's not like we don't get Traynor in America.

11. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    SVT!!

12. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    go try them both as well as the fender and ashdown if they have it. buy what you like.. not what we like

Loring, PillO and BOOG like this.
  13. wmhill

wmhill

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    Traynor!

Moosehead1966 likes this.
  14. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Graphic designer: Yorkville Sound
    both are good choices but you have to ask yourself... "am I gonna lug this thing around?"

I am a bit prejudice as I work for Yorkville but my respect for Ampeg is great. Now if this matters, the Traynor is Canadian designed, it's made in Canada by a company that is privately owned and operated by it's original owner (Jack Long). Many of the people who work here have been here for many of the 54 years that we've been in business (I've been here for over 31 years).

Jb

murphy, Loring, Marko 1 and 29 others like this.
  15. onamission

onamission Supporting Member

Fender Super Bassman, SVT, or Traynor YBA-300, I'd be very happy with either. If I'm spending my money I'd buy the Traynor just due to economics.

16. Madhouse27

Madhouse27

Sep 19, 2016
    I'm getting ready to sell the room to get a Fender Super Bassman 300.

nomaj and jumbodbassman like this.
  17. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    Lol

What's Ampeg? Never heard of it.

I mean I've traveled with few SVTs.

I had a backup SVT which came in handy
    A few times.
    Then I had a backup for the backup.
    Then I didn't have a backup for the backup for the backup.

So I sold the backup. Then I sold the backup for the backup. Then I sold the main. Lol

I don't miss it very much. Or them.

18. Gizmot

Gizmot

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    Back in the 70s, I had a couple of Traynor amps that I bought brand new. They always sounded great and were completely reliable.

I would have no problems whatsoever buying another Traynor.

wesonbass likes this.
  19. Drucifer

Drucifer Not currently practicing Gold Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston Heights, Texas
    Endorsements: your name could be here, Mr. Sadowsky!
    Any popularity poll Ampeg Traynor vs whatever non American Canadian is overwhelming skewed to Ampeg Traynor by the American Canadian influence on TB. Buy what you like.:)

20. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Graphic designer: Yorkville Sound
    Funny part is I'm American (Brooklyn born & bred) and Ampeg ain't 'murkin no more, made elsewhere ;).

Sayin' that, Ampeg is the defacto standard and deserves a lot of repect, they do have a mojo going (at least they used to). I, personally, never ride standards and always go for a more personal choice.

For the $800.00 difference in price, I can buy a lot of (fill in blank ).

DrewinHouston likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021