1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Traynor YC-610 Speaker Replacement

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sasquach, Feb 4, 2016.

1. sasquach

sasquach

Feb 10, 2014
    Picked up a Traynor YC-610 cab and looking to upgrade the speakers for playing bass. I think it may sound amazing with new speakers but also hesitant to pull the trigger based on total investment vs. resale value and having to resell 6 new speakers if it all doesn't work out. I'm leaning towards a set of Eminence Beta 10As but any other suggestions or recommendations before I pull the trigger?

Here's a link to a similar restoration:
    Restoration of an old Traynor YC-610. With pics.

Traynor suggested using Eminence Beta 10As over Alpha 10As for more efficiency with higher watt bass amps. Do you think that Beta 10As would be a good fit over Alpha 10As specifically for bass?

Here are the specs for each speaker:

Beta 10As
    Eminence Beta-10A American Standard Series 10

Alpha 10A
    Eminence Alpha-10A American Standard Series 10

Mucho gracias!

2. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Eminence SC2010 32ohm drivers would be the best option. I've used betas in a sealed cab and there isn't enough low end. Not even close.

Arjank likes this.
  3. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Use the SC2010 drivers and line the cab with some denim or fiberglass insulation and you should be happy. This is the best sealed cab driver you can get and was designed specifically for a cab like yours.

4. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Which ever speaker you ultimately choose, be sure that it's designed for a sealed cabinet which is what the YC-610 is. Most speakers today are designed for ported cabs.

What amp are you planning on using with this cabinet?

I have a copy of Traynor's original wiring diagram for the YC-610 if you're in need of one.

TD

5. sasquach

sasquach

Feb 10, 2014
    Thanks for the advice!

Running a Sunn Betabass 100W and occasionally an early 70's Traynor YBA-1A for guitar. Both are 8 ohms heads. Is there a way to wire the cab specifically to 8 ohms with six of the SC10s (It appears they come in both 16 or 32 ohms)?

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the ohms thing. Also is there a preference for wiring series or parallel for bass cabs?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  6. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Traynor's YC-610 and YC-810 cabinets were both wired in a conbination series parallel configuration. This way should a speaker fail the remaining speakers will continue to function normally.

TD

7. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I don't know. I would suggest that you look online or chat with an audio speaker manufacturer and ask them how to achieve what you're looking for using their product.

But I can tell you that the original Marsland speaker that Traynor installed in their YC-610 & YC-810 cabs were rated 25 watts each and were 8 ohms. The YC-610 netted out at 6.7 Ohms and the YC-810 at 4 Ohms.

TD

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  8. sasquach

sasquach

Feb 10, 2014
    Thanks, Thornton (I accidentally deleted that last post before you replied).

I believe this would be the Traynor YC-10 parallel/series wiring configuration you mentioned. 6 8-ohm speakers wired as 3 parallel 16 ohm loads = 5.33 ohm total system load (which I have read is fine with most 8 ohm amps).

The question now is should I go with Eminence SC10 16 ohm drivers since they have more low end (the total system load for 6 16 ohm speakers would be 10.66 ohms in this configuration) or Beta 10A 8 ohm drivers which would have less low end but may sound better due to being a closer match for an 8 ohm amp (5.33 ohm total load as below).

Which would sound/work better tone wise?

6x10cab.