Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Traynor YT-15 2x15" Cab... good deal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lecollectif, Jun 4, 2004.

1. Lecollectif

Lecollectif

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    Hi Everyone.

I'm fairly new to playing bass. A friend of mine aquired an old Traynor YT-15 2x15" cab. He offered it to me for $175 Canadian, which roughly translates to $230-50USD. He says that it's in good shape. Is this a good deal?

Also, what kind of head should I get for this thing, in order to get the most out of it?

Thanks.

2. retrohwam

retrohwam Guest

Apr 20, 2004
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Lecollectif - might want to change the batteries in your calculator: $175 Canadian would roughly be $130 USD.

If the speakers aren't shot - it's probably a fair deal.

3. Lecollectif

Lecollectif

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    Wow. What was I thinking? It's early, cut me some slack.

But thanks. I'm going to check it out today.

Also, anything on the type of head?

4. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    I just got a YT-15 for US$125, so yes I would say it's a fair deal. First things first you will need to open up the back and wire it in parallel, the speakers are 8ohms wired in series. If I remember correctly it was built to be used with the YBA-1. I am going to try a BX3000T with it once I get my funds straightened out. If you can find an old Traynor 16Ohm head (a YBA-1, YBA-2, etc.) you don't need to rewire the speakers and will have the original Traynor sound.

The looks of the cab will help determine the year since I think this cab was made from '69-77 (not positive on that.) One of the speakers in mine is creased badly (I found it odd that it was only one of them) and I cannot find Marsland replacement speakers anywhere, so now I am looking for JBL D140's (or a standard replacement) and convert it to a YTL-15.

There isn't much Traynor information on the internet, and even less information about this cab, if you buy it I wish you the best of luck.

5. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Graphic designer: Yorkville Sound
    Go to www.Yorkville.com and search...

YT-15
    Features
    Two of the YS-15''s Marslands wired in series for 16 Ohms so that two YT-15s could be used with the YBA-1

Approximate Serial Number
    3100 to 7400s = 1966 to 1970 // 006#### to 910####

Years Made 1966 - 1979
    Cabinet Type 2x15" bass cab
    Power 180 Watts pgm 16 Ohms

Comments
    A decent twin-fifteen that remained in production for a long time.

CHANGE THE SPEAKERS!!!