1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Traynor YT-15 2x15" Cab... good deal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lecollectif, Jun 4, 2004.

1. Lecollectif

Lecollectif

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    Hi Everyone.

I'm fairly new to playing bass. A friend of mine aquired an old Traynor YT-15 2x15" cab. He offered it to me for $175 Canadian, which roughly translates to $230-50USD. He says that it's in good shape. Is this a good deal?

Also, what kind of head should I get for this thing, in order to get the most out of it?

Thanks.

2. retrohwam

retrohwam Guest

Apr 20, 2004
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Lecollectif - might want to change the batteries in your calculator: $175 Canadian would roughly be $130 USD.

If the speakers aren't shot - it's probably a fair deal.

3. Lecollectif

Lecollectif

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    Wow. What was I thinking? It's early, cut me some slack.

But thanks. I'm going to check it out today.

Also, anything on the type of head?

4. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    I just got a YT-15 for US$125, so yes I would say it's a fair deal. First things first you will need to open up the back and wire it in parallel, the speakers are 8ohms wired in series. If I remember correctly it was built to be used with the YBA-1. I am going to try a BX3000T with it once I get my funds straightened out. If you can find an old Traynor 16Ohm head (a YBA-1, YBA-2, etc.) you don't need to rewire the speakers and will have the original Traynor sound.

The looks of the cab will help determine the year since I think this cab was made from '69-77 (not positive on that.) One of the speakers in mine is creased badly (I found it odd that it was only one of them) and I cannot find Marsland replacement speakers anywhere, so now I am looking for JBL D140's (or a standard replacement) and convert it to a YTL-15.

There isn't much Traynor information on the internet, and even less information about this cab, if you buy it I wish you the best of luck.

5. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Graphic designer: Yorkville Sound
    Go to www.Yorkville.com and search...

YT-15
    Features
    Two of the YS-15''s Marslands wired in series for 16 Ohms so that two YT-15s could be used with the YBA-1

Approximate Serial Number
    3100 to 7400s = 1966 to 1970 // 006#### to 910####

Years Made 1966 - 1979
    Cabinet Type 2x15" bass cab
    Power 180 Watts pgm 16 Ohms

Comments
    A decent twin-fifteen that remained in production for a long time.

CHANGE THE SPEAKERS!!!

6. twoby15

twoby15

Sep 11, 2016
    Whoa this thread is back from the dead!
    What speakers would tb recommend to get one of these fixed up running at 8ohms ? It's a shallow and light cab. I'm guessing I'm seeking two 4 ohm 15" that would be happy with the shallow cab.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  7. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

IIRC there were two versions of the YT-15, a sealed cab, and a ported cab. I had a sealed 1960s YT-15 in the mid '70s that I put EVM-15L drivers in that sounded great (from my fuzzy memory of back in those days). In more recent years I had a pair of 1960s sealed YS-15 cabs (essentially the YT-15 cut in half) that I put Delta Pro drivers in to good effect.

twoby15 likes this.
  8. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    eminence delta 15a wired in parallel
    would be 4ohms
    delta 15b for 8 ohms
    also with a series/parallel switch the 15a's would be sswitchable to 16ohms series like the original and 4ohms parallel

twoby15 likes this.
  9. ScottTunes

ScottTunes Gear-A-Holic Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2011
    So Cal
    DeltaLite and Kappalite drivers would work - particularly the KappaLites. I have a pair in a small sealed cab and they sound great!

twoby15 likes this.