1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

TRB fretless 5s??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chimp_spanner, Oct 4, 2002.

1. Hi. As iv said in about...a zillion other posts here, I'm still lookin around for a new bass having shifted my old plank of wood and saved up yadayada. Does anyone know the average going price for the Yamaha TRB5FII fretless? Every search I do I end up at some US site (where surprisingly musical instruments seem to be extortionatly priced:confused: ). amazing how for as much as peeps on the internet try and sell you stuff, you can never find a damn price when ya need one :mad: aside from that anyone know of some REASONABLY priced 5 string fretless's's'ss, preferably active. anyhow, off 2 sleep with me

any help is greatly appreciated :D

l8rz all!!!

2. New? US $1000-1200.

Used? US $600-800.

This is for the bolt-on version, right?

3. Hmm I wasn't aware that there was a choice with regards to the neck, but in that case yes I would imagine id be after the bolt on - im guessing through-body neck would bolster the price somewhat. i was however hopin someone would know the price in pounds. As you say Peter its $1000 upwards from the states, but alot of times iv seen gear that is like, £300 here, and costs about $700-800+ in the states :eek: so i cant really use US prices as a marker. but thanks anyway :)

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think I've seen them in the Bass Cellar in Denmark for about £700-800 - but you could try phoning the London shops to see if they have any used ones?

The Bass Centre in Wapping is a good bet - I'm sure I've seen TRB5s there at various times - the neck-through ones are more expensive - but are very good - pro Quality.

I paid about £1300 for a TRB6P.

5. Right, thanks for that. Yeah I will try phoning around, see what they have in the way of used basses. Grrr who would have thought bass shopping would be so hard ;) so far looks like its a tie up between the TRB5FII - if i wanna go fretless, or the RBX775 if i wanna stay fretted - cos it seems more like an edgy rock bass. Iv also been reading some good things about the Ibanez SR406 6 stringers. I think it's lookin like a tie up between those three for sure. All very affordable. Although I'd have to do a bit of research on the Ibanez before I commit. Any opinions? Anyway yeah thanks for the help. Ill get on the ol blower sum time soon!

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Wel - my opinon is that the TRBs are in a "different class" to the other two you mention - although I preferred the originals to the IIs.

RBXs are crap in my opinion - and while some Ibanez basses are OK - they depreciate in value horribly in the UK and what you paid £600 new for, will be lucky to fetch £150 in a few years. :(