TRB vs BB !!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tomdabass, May 10, 2004.

Which one would you prefer: TRB or BB???

Poll closed May 24, 2004.
  1. TRB

60 vote(s)
  2. BB

38 vote(s)
  1. tomdabass

Apr 19, 2004
    Please post Your arguments!!!
  2. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    I own 2 TRB's from the early 90's, one is a TRB4, the other, a TRB6-P, and man, they are such a breeze to play. Never really taken by the BB series though...
  3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'll vote for a BB since I currently own a BB404. I've owned TRB's also and I think both are great. As others have said, Yamaha is a very under rated company. That is especially true of used Yamahas.
  4. jusplayinmybass

Apr 17, 2003
    Conyers, Ga
    Keith McMillan Instruments, SIT Strings, Accugroove Cabinets
    I've been playing a TRB6P exclusively for 9 years. I must say that it is a joy to play. The only way for me to go from here is to a custom bass. As for the BB's, the only one I would really consider owning is an old BB5000A. That bass was almost like a TRB feel wise. Different electronics and shape. But a nice bass. I'm not big on the newer BB's. YMMV

B Easy
  5. I voted for TRB, but Tony Kanal of no doubt (solid player) has used a bb1500 and 3000 for most of his career. I would aggree that Yamaha's are underrated instruments.
  6. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    The BB is more rock-oriented than the TRB, which is essentially intended for funk-fusion.

This means I won't vote. It's apples and oranges.
  7. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    i own a TRB6p, and a BB605. Although the trb is a much more expencive instrument (just because of the modles i own) i would still have to go with the TRB for reasons posted by Jean. The trb is more fusion jazz bass, and i am in general a fusion jazz dude. However, the electronics on the bb605 are the NE pre, and it sounds great! both basses can handle funk.

is this prep for buying oneof the two ? or just debates sake?
  8. jusplayinmybass

Apr 17, 2003
    Conyers, Ga
    Keith McMillan Instruments, SIT Strings, Accugroove Cabinets
    You make a good point. Although I don't totally agree with you. I think Nathan East uses the BB very effectively in jazz fusion settings. I think either bass can go either way. But they do have slightly slants.

9. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Fortunately, there will always be differences between what a bass is intended for, and for what purpose(s) it is played.

That was just a point of "basic philosophy" of both these Yamaha series, in the way they were designed. But of course, anyone is "allowed" to play rock'n'roll with a TRB or fusion with a BB.
  10. FaBu-

Jan 16, 2004
    I'd like to have a TRB6-P...
  11. its a simple arguement, the TRB is just better.
  12. tomdabass

Apr 19, 2004
    Are you guy talking about the piezo TRBs or the cheaper TRB II 5 version.
    I´m skipping from 4 to 5 strings and can not decide which series to go with! I like the design of the TRB but the piezo version is just to expensive. The other thing is that you can´t upgrade the TRB´s because of the pickup size. OR am I wrong??
    The BB2005 has great specs, but I´m not sire since I didn´t had the chance to try one!
  13. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I had a TRB5 and it was one of the nicest basses I've ever owned. Very versatile and easy to play. Wish I still had it.
  14. My TRB-6 was my first bass, and is still my favourite. The spacing, the ergonomics, the neck, the sound... just perfect.
  15. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    My very first bass was a BB450. I have also owned a TRB-6, a TRB-5, 2 BB5000a's(one was stolen) and a Nathan East TRB-5.

All were/are fine basses. You can use either model in a pretty wide variety of musical settings.

I still have my 5000a and I am going to start hunting for another BB450.(getting nostalgic!)

Here's some trivia: The BB stands for Bunny Brunel who helped Yamaha design the BB series.

16. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    I sweat to god Yamaha is one of the most underrated companies, if not THE most underrated. They are all sooo so very good and can do almost anythying you want them to do, but I digress. I still prefer TRB's, especially old ones. Each to their own. I guess that's why they make chocolate AND vanilla ice cream.
  17. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    I sweat to god? I think I meant to write swear to god. meh.
  18. matt bass

matt bass

Apr 28, 2003
    Staffs, England
    I own a BB604 and must say it is a fantastic bass. The build quality is outstanding and sound is perfect for me. Loads of tone, built like a tank.

19. Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    Funny to find a comparison between the BB (Bunny Burnell) and the TRB when the former is actually adopting the TRB outline.

Here take a look at an old version of the BB line...

and a Current one.

and a TRB.

the only current BB that has still has the original shape is the Michael Anthony model.

20. Theodeus

Jan 18, 2004
    I have a BB605. There are two things that I don´t like about it. The finish gets greacy (how do you spell that!?) really fast. And then my neck seems to bend a little when i transport it... But that has perhaps something to do with the climate here in Sweden?

Oh.. and my strings are REALLY dead ;)

I blaim my bass for that :ninja:

Other than that, this is a great bass! And yes, Yamaha is underrated! My first were a Yamaha RBX 270, wich I still own and almost love it more than the BB :D My precious......