Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tyburn, Mar 13, 2001.

1. who here plays or have played a TRB,, i'm looking into a 5 string and a TRBjp caught my eye,, i wouldn't get the JP model cos i don't like the 34" scale,, but i may consider a Trb 5

what does anyone think of them??
  2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Well made. Has the J pickup type thing but bought a Stingray.
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I played a TRB6P for quite a while. I think the best ones are the "P" designated ones - that is P for Piezo pickups in the bridge rather than JP for John Patitucci.

I think the older ones (80s/90s)are better value - you can get good used prices for a very high spec bass that is neck-through, exotic tone woods, ebony fingerboard, plays very well etc.

Yamaha have re-released the P range, but those I have tried in London are no better than the older ones - although they look nicer! But they are very expensive - well over £2,000 for a 5-string! Whereas I have seen TRB5Ps for under a grand in the UK.

You might want to do a search for previous threads on this subject - it has been discussed many times before and you should get a wide range of opinions!
  4. I play a TRB5II. It works for me. Very versatile, comfortable on my hands.

There have been a number of threads on the TRB's, do a search. Some like'em, some don't.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

To expand a bit in this - I think the TRB basses emphasise the fact that you need to try basses to see whether you like them or not. Along with Ken Smiths, the TRBs are the extreme examples of the wide, flat neck and people often characterise them as "aircraft carrier" necks and from the front a TRB6P looks daunting. But if you look from the side you can see they are very thin or flat and to me, this makes them very comfortable to play, but you will need a good left-hand technique.

On the other extreme, you have Warwicks, which have narrower necks, that are very thick. So if you took a TRB and a Warwick neck and looked at both side-on, I think you would have the extremes. But this is something you can't see in photos at all and only becomes evident when you pick one up and try it. For me the thickness of the Warwicks, means that they make my left hand ache after only about 20 minutes, whereas I can play a TRB all night with no problems.

This question of neck profile for me is what really "makes or breaks" a bass and it was only after playing my Tobias Classic 5 that I realised that this was what their "assymetric" neck profile was all about and the fact that it is thinner at the bottom, makes the neck so much more comfortable and after about a year of playing this, I don't think I want to go back to anything else now, as it has improved my playing so much.

As to the mention of 34" or 35" scale lengths - I must say that for me, this is completely irrelevant and I haven't noticed any difference between the two, when trying basses - but as I say neck profile or shape, makes a huge difference in my experience.
    But again, this is something that you just have to try for yourself and there are many reasons why I wouldn't buy any bass without trying it first.
  6. thanks bruce i will keep it in mind, when i decide to buy the 5,, i need a new computer soon,, thats the problem though,, if only i could build basses instead of computers,, i'll build the new computer,, that'll cost me a grand,, start a graphics degree in sept(if i get in !!) so i'll need a powerful machine, for handling graphics, etc,, oh and sufing,, anyway,,

i prefer the 35" scale when it comes to fives,, i don't know why,, i've played a couple of overwaters with the 35" and love em,, a bit too expensive for me at the mo,, i've just finished improving the j bass, i will put a pic up eventually,, !!!