TRB6II vs Cirrus 6

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wxp4759cb, Mar 22, 2001.

1. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Ok, I really like the Cirrus, but recently alot of people have been bad mouthing it, so now I'm not sure. Also although it sounds amazing for the jazz type stuff I do, I'm not sure how much punch it would have in a band setting. Also I tend to use a smiley EQ, and the Cirrus has accentuated mids, so it would seem kinda dumb to buy a bass built for mids, when I'm always cutting them. I do like ALOT of highs though.

TRB6II -(haven't played one yet, will do this weekend) I really like that it has piezos. I really dislike that its a 34" scale neck. Is the B floppy?!?!?!?! Also I'm not really sure of its pickups, are the electronics good? Finally it doesn't look as nice as the cirrus.

(all peavey) My amp is a FireBass 700, a 4x10TFX, and 1x15BX BW If that makes a difference. I also run it through some rackmount effects.
  2. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I think you are confusing the matters a bit here. It's the TRB6PII that has piezos. They are exotic wood models and cost way more than any Cirrus (or regular TRB6II for that matter). Floppy B's usually aren't a problem with Yamahas. In the big picture, a bass having 34" or 35" scale doesn't really mean anything - there are floppy 35"'s and tight 34"'s.
    I bet they have a lot of highs (my Yammy has), but I'm afraid the electronics, as with all (?) Yamaha basses are noisy. Very strange that they still stick with their own half-crappy preamps, even on their more expensive models.
    Also, the TRB's necks are wide as aircraft carriers (although they have a comfortable profile). Make sure you can play them without getting wrist pains and such.

I have not played any Peavey bass, so I avoid commenting on that.
  3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I've played both extensively. The Yamaha is OK, the Cirrus is killer. People talking down about the Peavey just have that old Peavey prejudice. Was justified 10 years ago, not now though. Just my opinion, get the Cirrus.
  4. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Yeah I'm leaning towards the Cirrus.
  5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I've played both, too. In my opinion, the Cirrus is the better bass. I think most people talking them down just have a bad case of "headstockitis".

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

To get a six as good as the Cirrus you will have to spend at least $700 more.

To get one better, you will have to spend $1000+ more.

The ones that come to mind are the Spector NS6XL{List $4200}, the Modulus Quantum 6{List $3500}(I don't like Modulus, but they are fine basses!), Warwick Streamer Stage I 6{List $4199}, Zon Sonus Custom 6{List $3795}, and Pedulla Thunderbass 6{List $3695} or MVP 6{List $3795}.

Of course, you could look used and find any of these for around $2000 - $2500, but you could find a used Cirrus 6 for around $900 - $1000.

When I was on the quest for a great fretless 5 string, I almost bought a Cirrus 5. If I hadn't found a great deal on a used Sonus Custom 5 with piezos(much more useful on a fretless than a fretted, IMHO) I would have probably bought the Cirrus.
  7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    So why do you use the smiley face EQ, bassmasterG?

If you want punch, cutting mids usually isn't the way to get it, IME.
  8. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Maybe punch isnt the right word. What I like for rock music is like when you go to huge concerts, and you can feel the bass pounding you just as much as you hear it, I don't like mud though, so I boost the highs alot to give it some bite and edge. Maybe its just my bass, but when I turn up the mids it sounds to thin. I don't really cut them to much though, I just don't boos them like the other freq.
  9. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i think the older trb6p basses (first generation with the piezos, flame maple body and neck thru construction) are great if you can get one used. the do have very wide necks which i guess can be great or horrible depending on your preference. as far as the electronics goes, they are bit noisy but i find that you never really ever have to boost the highs because they are naturally very bright instruments and therefore the noise caused is negligible. the peavy's are great also but i thought the yamaha had a better punch and sound when you dig in.
  10. I bought a Cirrus 6 recently and am quite happy with it. I play jazz/fusion/latin, and, although I have no experience with it in a band setting, I can tell you that there is nothing about the tone on a Cirrus 6 that you can't change with a few turns on your amps eq.

I cannot offer a comparison as I have not played a TRB.
  11. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    How well does it work for two hand tapping. (like stu hamm, not Van Halen)
    I'm really starting to get into that kinda thing, but I'm only average at it so, I can't try out really complex stuff yet to test the bass.
    I think I'm going to give it one more test this weekend, and if I still like it I'll probably buy one.
  12. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    that a hard dcision, both are bad ass basses, but if i bought a trb id definately change elctronics to barts or soemthing, but the peavey has bad ass ones in it, it sound great, feels and plays great also... but the trb is a sweet bass. talk to david pushic and get a better one built.... (
  13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    How does your bass sound set flat, with the amp set flat?

Turning up mids typically won't "thin" the sound, it'll actually do the opposite. I guess it depends on what you're calling mids.

Keep in mind, the bass that sounds great pounding out the lows, live in the mix, may sound like crap to you when you're playing it alone, in your room. Funny how that works ;)

I don't have even one bass that sounds muffled, set flat with flat amp EQ.